15; Miles Argent's Day Off

timourous

adjective | TIM - uh - rus | meaning - expressing or suggesting timidity; fearful

15; Miles Argent's Day Off

Miles Argent was not going to school today.

When his alarm went off, he woke up with three hours of sleep and a very bruised body. He definitively decided that nobody was going to be able to make him go to high school. If his aunt and uncle had a problem with that, well that sucked for them.

The young hunter was almost back asleep when a soft knock came from his door. Miles let out a groan that was a healthy mixture of both pain and annoyance, which apparently meant come in.

Miles cracked open an eye just in time to see his younger cousin pop her head past his previously closed door. She gave Miles a gentle smile, which Miles responded to by closing his eye once again.

"Mom and dad are, um, wondering why you haven't gotten up yet," Allison said softly.

Miles grabbed the covers of his bed and pulled them up to his ears, cocooning himself into the bed as if to signal that that was how he planned to stay for the next several hours. "I'm not going to school today," He grumbled, just in case that wasn't already cleared.

Allison tiptoed into further into the room. Miles didn't need to open his eyes to know what was going on. He may not have been a supernatural creature, but his senses were still finely honed after years of training. Just by listening alone, Miles could identify that she had once again closed his door, moved across his room, and was now fumbling with his closed curtains.

Just as Miles was about to give a half-hearted threat if she opened the curtains, sunlight burst through the little crack Allison had made. The yellow light was miserably bright as it danced around the room.

Miles still groggily tumbled through the threat, but it was practically incoherent as Miles pulled his pillow over his face to shield himself from the light. Allison knew better then to take the threats Miles made when he was half-asleep too seriously, and instead rolled her eyes at the other hunter.

"My dad said I couldn't take no for an answer," Allison explained. "And my mom said skipping school because you don't feel like going is a gateway habit to becoming a deviant, or something like that."

"I'm not going," Miles reiterated.

Allison nodded even though she knew Miles couldn't currently see her. "Yeah, I also told them you weren't going to change you mind," She sighed. "So then my dad said that you shouldn't expect to make a habit of this. Staying home today is going to be a one time ordeal and will only happen again if you're, like, missing a limb or something."

The pillow lifted up just enough for Miles to peak out from under that. His face had the exact scowl Allison had imagined he would have when she'd been working up the courage to knock on his door.

"Rodger that," Miles muttered, his scowl not wavering for a second.

Allison nodded, and this times Miles actually saw it. "Cool. Okay. Um, I can pick up your work from your classes today, if you want."

Miles released the pillow so it fell softly over his face again. "I absolutely do not want."

With a sigh, Allison decided it was best not to argue with him right now. Even if she didn't agree with him getting even further behind then he already was by not getting the work he missed, she knew this wasn't a battle she could possibly win.