A Glimpse At Your Scars

~Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you~ Coldplay.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Fix You' by Coldplay.

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

°°

Rainey

The sound of the running shower melding with the raindrops provides a feeling of pure relaxation.

I plop down on a chair at the corner of the room and slip my cell from my knapsack, immediately noticing the thirteen missed calls on my home screen. I am not at all surprised that not one of them is from my mom, who perhaps is feeling contented with my absence. They are all from my dad and one text from Riley; a picture of her and a strange cat she probably found on a sidewalk.

Riley is a sucker for animals. She's the type that would climb a tree and end up breaking her arse just to rescue a stray kitten. Her image reminds me of how much I miss my best friend. I quickly shoot her a text to ask if she's fine, then I dial my dad's number and press it to my ear, jerking my legs idly while I wait for him to pick up.

He answers after three rings, his deep voice breaking through the phone line.

"Rain. God, I was worried sick."

"About what?" I press the cell between my ear and shoulder, while I slip an elastic band off my wrist and pull my hair up into a messy bun.

"Your Mom says you're not home and she has no idea where you are, God, I almost had a heart attack, Rainey. I have been trying to call you all evening, immediately after she told me that."

I roll my eyes, tucking one foot under the other. "She's the one who said I should stay off her porch tonight."

"She said what?" He curses under his breath, then a deep sigh leaves his lips before he speaks again. "I am calling her right now; I hope her son of a bitch of a man does not pick the damn call up or I'll tell his ass off."

"You don't need to call her." I disapprove, grimacing at the thought of Jeff's embarrassing behavior at the café this evening. "I am fine, I need the break from that house anyway."

My dad is silent on the line for a few seconds, and I remove the cell from my ear to see if he's still on the line. Realizing that the call is still running, I press it to my ear again.

"Dad?"

"I'm sorry, Rain." His voice is low and remorseful.

He's not the one who should be feeling guilty about this at all; it should be my mom and she sure as hell couldn't care less about breaking the family apart, so why should my dad feel culpable? He treated her with nothing but love.

I exhale heavily. "About what?"

"Not being there for you," his voice breaks. "I am truly sorry."

My Dad is an emotional man, even more so than my mom. She's the 'rough' type who thinks everything should happen the way she desires. My dad is more compassionate, and often just allowed her to have her way at the expense of his discomfort.

"You don't need to be," I reassure him for the hundredth time. I always tell him that none of this is his fault. "I mean, you top my card up every month...I guess that's enough."