Chapter 28

Tony’s POV

“Hey Tony.”

I look past my mom to see Keisha walking into my hospital room.

Why is she here?

I don’t respond and just stare at her as she gets closer to my bed. I look her up and down and I’d be lying if I said she didn’t look pretty sexy.

She’s wearing black tights and a real tight tank top. My eyes drift to her chest and I don’t realize I’m staring ‘til my mom starts talking.

“Hi Keisha,” she smiles a little but I know that’s her fake smile. She’s never really liked Keisha. Keisha and I hooked up on and off for awhile and my mom wasn’t supportive of the two of us. She kinda thought of her of a whore, especially after some ladies at the taqueria had said she’d hooked up with some of their sons.

“Hi Ms. Cortez.” Keisha returns the fake smile. “Mind if I have a minute with Tony?”

“Actually I do.” My mom is in her protective mode. “He’s really hurt and he already has everyone who loves him supporting him. Whatever you wanna say to him, you can say in front of me.”

Keisha rolls her eyes and walks over to me.

“Hey,” I finally say.

This time she doesn’t respond and instead rests her hand on my cheek then gives me a long kiss on the lips.

When we finally pull apart, I don’t know what to say.

“You need to go.” My mom stands up and comes toe-to-toe with Keisha. “Now.”

Keisha looks at my mom then looks at me.

“Give me another chance Tony.” I actually see a bit of… vulnerability in her eyes.

My mom glares at me and I know I shouldn’t respond so I don’t. She drags her feet then leaves my room.

That was… interesting.

After a moment Evie walks in the room. I watch her walk over to me and see how tired she looks. I realize that Keisha must have passed her on the way out and I hope that she didn't say anything to Evie about the kiss.

“Um. Since you’re here, I’m gonna go home. I havent been home since 6 and my mom has to go to work soon.” She motions at my mom and gets closer to my bed.

My mom walks over to her, gives her a tight hug and whispers something in her ear that I can’t make out from my spot on the bed.

“I guess I’ll see you soon negrita?” I look up at her.

“Yeah.” She bends down to give me a kiss on the cheek and then walks out of the room without looking back.

That was strange. Evie isn't the biggest on PDA but she’s normally not so quick to say goodbye. As I shift in the bed, I realize that she must have smelled Keisha’s perfume. It’s really strong and I can smell it on my blanket from when she kissed me.

I’m thinking about how to handle the whole situation when my mom’s voice brings me back to reality.

“That Keisha girl is no good Tony! I don't like anything about her, comprende? I mean, just look at how she kissed you like that with Evie right outside.” She launches into another tirade of Spanish, but I only pick out the words “trash” and “rude”.

She would have kept going, but she’s cut off by a doctor who comes in the room with a clipboard.

“Antonio?” The doctor looks to be in his 40s maybe early 50s. He smiles at my mom and I before pulling out a rolling chair I hadn't noticed before.