Chapter Twenty One

"Where are we going?" Amber asked, following him as he pulled her out of the door and towards his car.

He was pleased with himself, she could tell by the grin on his face and the bounce in his step that whatever he'd got planned he was excited about it. "It's a surprise." He smiled, turning to look at her. "But you'll like it, I promise!"

There was no arguing with him, she'd established that after spending the last half an hour pleading with him to tell her what was going on. All he'd said was that she needed to trust him, then he'd bounded out of the door with two overnight bags he'd somehow managed to pack without her noticing and insisted she needed to get ready so they could get a move on. She was curious about what was going on, to say the least.

****

"Time to wake up," he said softly, nudging her awake.

She blinked at him sleepily, confused for a second before she realised she'd obviously fallen asleep in the car on the way there. "Are we here?" She yawned, stretching her arms and legs as she shuffled to sit up better.

He nodded. "Its Benny's place," he explained as she looked at the little cabin in the woods in confusion. "I thought it might be nice to get out of the city for a few days, just the two of us. Benny said he didn't mind us coming up here, I think he still feels guilty about how things went when he met you.... but if you hate it then I can turn around and drive us straight back... whatever you want to do."

"Kelly," She cut him off, she could tell he was nervous by the way he was rambling. "I love it." She took his hand and squeezed it for a moment. "Thank you."

He returned her smile. "Come on then, let's get inside and get the fire lit."

It was cosy inside, but the thing that struck her was how quiet it was. In Chicago there was always something, no matter what time of day or night it was, there was always a person outside or a siren in the distance. Something to shatter the peace and quiet. Here though, it was just the two of them.

"You're quiet today." He commented as she sat down on the sofa. He started unpacking the food he'd brought with them.

"It's quiet up here." She said softly, turning in her seat to look at him. "I like it."

"I thought you might." He smiled. "We used to come up here a lot when I was a kid. Benny comes up here to go fishing now."

"I feel bad." She sighed. "I should've been nicer to Benny."

Kelly snorted with laughter. "No, you shouldn't. He's my Dad and I love him and all that but he can be a real idiot."

"Still, I feel like we should thank him. It's really nice here."

Kelly shrugged it off as he walked towards her. "I brought a couple of steaks, I thought we could grill them up later but I haven't got any plans other than that. We can go out for a walk if you like or just stay here? Whatever you want to do."

Amber reached out and took his hand, pulling him down onto the sofa beside her. "Can we just stay here? I kinda just want to enjoy the fact it's just the two of us."

He placed a soft kiss to her hairline. "That sounds good to me."

****

She woke hours later, wrapped in a blanket on the sofa with the fire cracking but Kelly no where to be seen. It was dark outside but the door was open and she could hear him outside whistling to himself, the smell of cooking drifting through the door. She got up, stretching all her limbs out and headed for the door to find him.

"Hey," he smiled. "You're awake."

She stifled a yawn, wrapping her arms around him. "You should've woken me up. Not sure you brought me out here so I could nap on the sofa."

"It looked like you needed the rest." He shrugged. "Gave me a chance to get started on dinner anyway."

"The ideal man." She teased. "Let's me nap and cooks me dinner. I knew I loved you for a reason."

He stood there for a moment, a grin spreading across his face.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She laughed, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Because I love you." He grinned. "And I'm just really grateful that I met you."

"Don't get all mushy on me now," she laughed, wrapping her arms around his neck and stretching on to her toes to kiss him.

He didn't answer her, instead pressing his lips to hers with a hunger and intensity that she hadn't felt in weeks. He kissed her the way he had back before things had gotten complicated, before they'd gone to Florida and things had started to fall apart. He kissed her in a way that left her feeling breathless and like she never wanted him to stop.

And then she remembered what she'd interrupted him doing. She pulled her lips away from his, gasping for air. "Kelly..."

He didn't look up though, his lips instead attaching to her neck, searching for that spot he knew would have her like putty in his hands. His hands roamed down her sides, sliding under the hem of her shirt and meeting with bare skin in a way that sent a shiver down her spine.

"Kelly..." she tried again but it came out as more of a breathy moan than any kind of warning.

He mumbled something unintelligible against her skin.

"The steaks, Kelly." She gasped. "You're burning them."

He lingered for just a second longer, his hands stilling on their quest to rid her of her shirt and his head still buried in the crook of her neck before he straightened up with a groan, placing one more quick kiss on her lips before he turned back to the grill.

She was right, the steaks were a bit more well done than he'd intended but they were still edible, and if he was honest it had been more than worth the sacrifice.