↠One Last Time - 037*

"Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you"— O N E  L A S T  T I M E —

— O N E L A S T T I M E —

Snow was falling from the sky as the entirety of the Hogwarts school ate a Holiday dinner for what would be one of the last times. The next morning everyone would be traveling home. The enchanted ceiling made all the first years look up at it as it mocked the sky above the great hall, the children laughed and pointed at it in awe. It had snowed before this point, but never during dinner when everyone was gathered.

This, as bitter as it was for the seventh year, was a joyous occasion. For the royal couple that sat at the Gryffindor table, next to the freshly announced James Potter and Lily Evans, it was one of the brightest moments of their entire schooling career. They had diamonds shining in their eyes and stars glimmering in souls. For Sirius Black, he was returning to his home, not a house, with his fiancée to meet and spend their first Christmas with a child they adopted and the rest of Sage's family. It was something that seemed so unreal to him.

For the first time in his entire life, he was coming to a place filled with love and laughter, not talk of blood purity and his failure to be what his parents expected. Sirius Black was going to be able to hold someone that would love him unconditionally because they didn't know any better, and he was going to be able to wake up Christmas morning with the love of his life next to him. It was a foreign feeling, one he had never felt before. The excitement to leave Hogwarts and go home.

The Marauders could see the change in Sirius, as the facial expression he wore wasn't one of raw dread, but of hope and joy.

But Sage was almost a different story. She was panic, scared almost. The fear of never being enough was one that always lingered in the young queens' mind, and this was no exception. Sage knew what it was like being almost unloved and unwanted by the woman who claimed to love you most. Hell, Sage's mother during her second year had asked her to stop writing her letters. This fear she had crept in her mind and settled itself nicely.

Even though fear was lingering, Sage couldn't-- No, wouldn't, let it ruin this for her. Sage was grown, with responsibilities and commitments, and even though she hadn't met the child yet, she knew they already had a huge part of her heart.

Lily looked over towards Sage and gave her the brightest smile Sage had ever seen her give. You could see the joy seeping out of Lily Evans soul, it was colorful and unique. Never had Sage seen anything like it from her friend. And Sage did her best to return it.

"Should I do it?" The two young women were forced to look at James who was whispering to the rest of the Marauders with a large smirk on his face. "No." Lily didn't even hesitate to let the words slip from her mouth. "Yes! Mate, the only thing stopping you is fear!" Sirius egged him on cause Sage to give him a mocking glare. "Well... It's settled then."

James shot up from his seat next to Lily and, before Lily could grab him, ran up to risen platform right below Dumbledore's podium. "Attention! Hello!" James starting yelling, causing Lily to hide her face in her hands. "Bloody hell, this isn't real," Lily mumbled causing Sage to hide a laugh. "If all the seventh years would be so kind to stand up, please do so!"

Silence followed, before the loud shuffling of students moving to stand was heard all throughout the Hall. McGonagall looked ready to stand up and beat James, but was settled by their headmaster. "I'm sure everybody here already knows who I am," The Marauders, including Lily, were now standing and looking at each other trying to keep from giggling. "But, this, surprisingly, isn't about me. Now, today, marks less than six months before we graduate, leave, grow up. And, from my heart, I want to express what is mean for us next."

"Outside of our walls, there is a war, and it is bloody and gruesome, but in here, it's safe. This place, this home, it's our last stop of warmth and unconditional love and safety. After we leave, we are what we make of ourselves. But, we are still here, and therefore what we truly are is students, peers, friends, lovers, and family. The differences we have, well they only matter of we make them matter." James Potter's words echoed through not just the hall but in their ears and hearts and souls. Sage was almost confused at how the boy managed to hide his wisdom from them most of the time. "We have less than six months left of this family, and of this home. Nobody owes me anything, but we all owe each other good damn last few months. Less fights, less misjudgments, more memories, and more joy."

Everyone stared on, soaking in James Potter's speech. Sage felt tears prick her eyes and watched as Lily rubbed her face to hide her own. "Thank you, that's all." James mocked a bow and walked back to the table towards his friends and girlfriend. Slowly, the hall started clapping. It was odd, for the whole school to clap at something other than a house cup or sporting, but in an exceptional way, it felt right. "That was incredible, mate," Remus complimented his best friend with a large grin. "Moony's right, James, that was perfect," Sirius joined in. James just shrugged and returned Lily's side hug. "I know, I'm kinda amazing like that." Lily slapped his chest and laughed at his arrogance.

Sage and James made eye contact and she nodded at him. "I don't think anybody could have said it better."

———

After the feast ended, the group had snuck outside with their cloaks and started throwing snow at each other. Their quiet laughter and gasps filled the air as the freezing snow hit their bodies. Lily, who even though was extremely against breaking the schools rules, was enjoying herself and she and Sage hide themselves from Remus and James as Sirius and Peter were chucking snow chunks at each other. "Have you lot done this before?" Lily asked Sage as the grabbed up snow to make snowballs.

"Yes, we did this our fourth and fifth year after the Christmas feast." Sage's chest burned from breathing in the cold air heavily. "How do you always get away with this stuff!" Lily huffed out in fake annoyance. Sage chuckled softly and pushed her long hair behind her ears. "They always get in trouble, I just know how to misbehave and not get caught with them-" Sage was cut off when a snowball slammed in her chest. The two girls stood out and rushed towards Remus and James as they laughed at them. Remus quickly went quiet when he was hit in the face with the freezing snowball by Lily.

Sage took off to hide so she wouldn't get hit again as James lifted up Lily and spun her. Remus took snow and threw it at Lily causing her hair to be covered in little specks of snow and water.

Sage peeked out from behind a tree as she watched the chaos ensue. Sirius, who was possibly the quietest he's ever been, was slowly sneaking up behind Sage as his breath clouded around him. Sage let out a muffled gasp when Sirius grabbed her from behind and turned her around. "Surprised?" He laughed as she pushed him back and covered her chest with her hand. "Holy hell, love," Sage giggled lightly trying to calm herself. Sirius smiled before wrapping his arms around her and kissing her softly.

Sage hummed against his lips, and Sirius kissed her harder. When they broke Sage leaned her forehead against his and whispered.

"I love you, so much."