Prologue

The clinking of forks and chewing of bacon rang through the Burrow that Saturday morning

Most of the Weasleys, as well as Harry and Hermione, were still half asleep, pyjama-clad and had bags under their eyes, and Lori was no exception. They had all been far too excited about the upcoming Quidditch World Cup that their father had somehow got tickets to.

A sharp tapping on the kitchen window pulled most of them from their tired reverie, Molly was the first to her feet and hurried to let the owl in.

"What is it, mum?" Ron asked through a mouthful of food, earning a disgusted look from Ginny and Hermione.

Their mother read the envelope as if in shock, before looking up at Lori in excitement. "It's for you. It's from Hogwarts."

Her oldest daughter's eyes snapped further open and she raced to her mother, practically tearing the letter from her grasp. Normally, Molly would have scolded her, but she was far too happy.

"Hey, Georgie," Fred snickered, "do you think she got expelled?"

"Fred!" Molly gasped, smacking him over the head with a washcloth.

"Well, what does it say?" Ginny piped up eagerly.

Lori looked up at her family, her lips curling into a huge smile, as she reread the right part of the letter fondly. "We would be delighted if you would accept the post of Gryffindor prefect."

Whoops came from the table, Ginny almost tackling her older sister into a hug as the rest of them clapped, amidst groans from Fred and George along the lines of: "Not another one!"

Molly looked proudly at her oldest daughter, holding her heart with her hand. "Oh, I'll have to tell Bill and Charlie. They'll be so pleased. That's everyone in the family so far."

"What are Fred and I, next door neighbours?" George gasped in mock offence, though Molly ignored him.

"Lori." Fred sighed as she sank down into her seat between him and his twin. "I swear you're a robot."

George pointed at her with a piece of buttered bread. "She is as well. New Gryffindor prefect, new Gryffindor Quidditch captain..."

"If you become the Head Girl, we're gonna haunt you for the rest of your life."

At that moment, Molly slapped both of the twins on the backs of theirs heads, trying to make her tone serious. "Don't say such vile things to your sister!"

"Yeah," Ginny mocked. "Don't say such vile things to your sister!"

Lori chuckled, reaching across the table to ruffle her younger sister's hair in appreciation. The two had always been closest with each other, sharing a room and most of their clothes.

Ginny had been taught much of her
Quidditch knowledge by her older sister, and was extremely proud when the former Gryffindor Captain, Oliver Wood, had chosen Lori to lead the team after he left.