Chapter 15. Goodbye, London

"I cant believe today is my wedding day!" Meg giggles, shifting around as Jo weaves flowers into her hair

    I look up from my spot on my bed, my nose having been buried in a new book Laurie gave me for the past hour. Meg looks amazing—a long flowing white gown adorned with lace. More than that, her cheeks are glowing with the flush only someone on their wedding day can possess.

"Me neither," Jo mumbles sadly, and I close my book on my lap.

    After a week of stress from throwing together a small wedding for Meg and John, Jo has been the one with the upmost enthusiasm. Always helping with decorations, always helping with the planning. It seems odd for her to seem down on the big day itself.

"What's wrong?" Meg asks, frowning into the mirror. Her brown eyes are brighter than usual today—they contrast nicely with the pink neck ribbon Amy gave her.

"Nothing."

   Jo wrings her hands together as Meg turns to face her, a frown on her pink mouth.

"Jo..."

"We can leave. We can leave right now." Jo begins desperately, and crouches down in front of Meg, looking suddenly like a child. Meg sinks down into her vanity chair as Jo continues. "I can make money! I'll sell stories, I'll do anything—cook, clean, work in a factory—I can make a life for us!" Jo looks over her shoulder at me, her eyes softening. "All of us."

   My heart pangs as Meg mumbles, 'But Jo...'. I stand up off my bed and make it to her side, sitting down cross-legged on the floor next to Jo. Who is this Lillian that sits on the dirty floor? Three months ago I would've had a fit.

"You should be a Doctor, or a government official," Jo says, her eyes widening as she looks at me. "None of us need husbands. Or boyfriends, even. We just need each other." Jo turns to Meg, her voice rising in desperation. "And you—you should be an actress and have a life on the stage." She clasps Meg and I's hands. "Let's run away together."

She seems flushed from her speech.

"But Jo.." Meg begins again, looking embarrassed. "I want to get married."