6

[ 06

[ 06. AN UNEXPECTED VISIT]

"Oh, is the young lady okay? I should've asked earlier" Mako's uncle asked, his excitement suddenly disappearing.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just twisted my ankle, that's all." You said and then Mako wrapped his arm around your waist and helped you get up.

"Uncle, this is our friend Y/n" Bolin said.

"Can you walk?" Mako asked, concern written all over his face.
You placed your hurt foot to the ground and tried to take a step forward.

You left out a grunt and bit your lip as it hurted too much for you to walk.
"It's okay, I got you, just lean against me" Mako said and his grip tightened on your waist.

"We don't live far away from here, you can come to our house and the girl can rest. Also you will meet your other cousins and the rest of the family!"

The three of you glanced at each other and agreed. Besides, the boys had a chance to meet the rest of their family.

-

"Your father send us a letter years ago with your names, but that was the last we heard from him. Then we saw your pictures on a sports pages with your bending team! And Bolin, we loved those Naktak movers! They're hilarious!" Their uncle stated when you finally arrived outside of his house.

"Yea, they're not really comedies but, uh..."

"Yeah. I could probably be a probender or an actor or something if I lived in a mansion in Republic city like you guys. You don't know what's it like here on the streets. You gotta be tough" Their cousin, Tu bragged and all you wanted to do is punch him in the face. He didn't have a clue about his cousins and how difficult it was for them.

"Oh Mako and I grew up on the streets. We were homeless, then we were kind of in a gang, then we lived in a gym-"

Bolin started explaining but their uncle opened the door and slightly pushed you inside.

It was a house full of people, gathered around a table.

"Hey everybody! Look who's here! San's kids! Mako and Bolin! And a friend of their's, Y/n"

Everyone seemed happy and welcomed you with excitement. An old lady, slowly walked up to you.

"Is it true? After all these years?" she said and smiled. "Boys, this is your grandmother, Yin" Their uncle stated.

"Aw it is so wonderful to finally meet my long lost grandchildren!" She muttered and hugged them, -including you- because Mako was helping you stand.

"who is this beautiful girl? Is your leg okay dear? "

"I'm Y/n, nice to meet you. My ankle got sprained but we'll explain everything in a minute." You answered politely and smiled back. She seemed a lovely person.

"Where is San and your mother?" She asked and your face dropped. She didn't know..

"Wait, you mean you don't know?" Bolin asked saldy. "I'm sorry. They were killed when we were little" Mako explained and you placed your free hand on his back.

Their grandmother teared up and the room was silent.

-

"Let me take care of your ankle dear" Yin nicely said and Mako helped you sit down. She wrapped it up with a bandage and you thanked her.

"Now, I'm sure you are all hungry. We've plenty of food" she said and giggled. They were the sweetest people in the world.

"This is so great! We never had a family before and now we've got one, two, five, eleven- a big family! Yeah!" Bolin happily said as you were eating and you chuckled at his enthusiasm.

"So why did dad leave Ba Sing Se?" Mako asked.

"Oh he always had big dreams. He couldn't wait to get out and see the world. Your grandfather thought it was ridiculous. He wanted San to stay home and work the fruit stand. But San was determined to leave and they had a huge fight. And that was the last time they ever spoke..." their uncle stated and then regretted it by seeing his mother get sad. He apologized.

"Come with me", their grandmother said and stoop up. "I have something to show you"

You looked at Mako, with a "don't leave me here by myself" look. What were you supposed to do with a room full of Bolin's and Mako's cousins? It was definitely going to be awkward.

Mako rolled his eyes playfully and helped you get up. "Is it okay if Y/n comes with-

"Yes Mako, your girlfriend can come too" Yin said and chuckled. Bolin smirked and my cheeks turned pink. "We.. we are not together" Mako said and widened his eyes.

"yep, we are not a couple" You awkwardly said and shook your head. His grandmother didn't respond, she just looked at you in disbelief.

You followed her to a small bedroom. She opened a drawer and took out a letter.

"This is the only letter we ever got from San. It says he married a beautiful woman from the Fire Nation and had two wonderful sons" She said and signed us to sit on the bed, next to her.

"He send this picture of you all on his birthday" Yin mumbled and smiled, holding a picture. Two adorable little boys, with their parents. Everyone was happy.

"Look, Mako. Dad is wearing your scarf" Bolin happily stated.

"Your mother was gorgeous" You said and smiled, looking at the photo.

"I'm so sad that I've never gotten to meet your mother but you have her eyes" Yin pointed out and look at Mako. "I know from looking at you two, that she must have been a wonderful bride for my boy", she added.

Bolin sobbed as you got emotional. You didn't have any pictures of your parents. It made you realize, Kai is all the family you've got.

Mako took off his red scarf and handed on his grandmother. "I'm sure they would have want you to have it"

Then, they all hugged and you suddenly felt nostalgic. You missed your parents, you missed Kai, you missed this. You missed having those kind of moments with your family.

To your surprise, Bolin grabbed you and squeezed you into a tight hug, "Y/n you're family too, not just a friend"