XXXI.

Many months later.

A hand touched his bare shoulder as soon as the poem came to an end, caressing it slowly as if time had long since ceased to exist in that bedroom.

"Read it to me again?" Her voice was soft, her eyes barely open. Her thick black lashes kissed her cheeks more and more frequently as her chest rose and fell rhythmically, continuing that never ending flirt with sleep.

"As you wish." Nathaniel brought his lips down briefly rest on her forehead, smiling softly as they met. He turned the pages on his copy of 'The fourth dimension', until he reached the beginning of the poem.

He left one more kiss on her shoulder before propping his body onto his elbows, placing the book on the mattress.  "She has returned, just like any other summer, from the strange dark land.  .  ."

"I think she needs him

"I think she needs him." Guinevere murmured against his neck, interrupting him even though they'd only reached the middle of the poem, the vibrations of her voice finding his carotid and playing with his steady heartbeat.

The professor lifted his tired eyes from the page, focusing all of his attention on her. "Hmm?"

"I think she needs him just as much as she needs the light. She should hate everything about him, his insecurity, his obsession but she can't because she shares it."

He'd thought about it himself, of course, but there was something about her voice that forced him to see it as a new idea, one he couldn't even begin to comprehend. "Perhaps, you're right."

"I know I'm right." Gwen snuggled deeper into the crook of Nate's neck, basking in his warmth and presence. It had been months since she'd returned and yet this absurd need to be close to him had not even started to fade. She doubted it ever would.

It wasn't something that could be helped, creatures like her always drowned their darkness in love, always hoping that it would be enough to break them and piece them back together.

There was more darkness in her now, she wasn't the same she'd been a year ago. There was blood on her hands. A faded pair of blue eyes and a disgustingly proud smile in the back of her mind. That image would, eventually, disappear as would the invisible traces of blood. The memory, however, would remain.

As would the knowledge that accompanied it.

But soon, it wouldn't be able to wound her.

It would only be a reminder, something to remind her of her own strength and resilience.

"Would you give me the pomegranate seeds if it was us instead of them?"

He nodded, a smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Yes. I would." Hell, he was half tempted to actually do it. Find one and break it with his bare hands while offering her his kingdom as well as his heart. Even if the only kingdom he possessed was built on paper and smudges.