in which george explains some things

George laughed nervously. "What — what are you guys talking about?"

"George," Paul said gently, but before he could go on, John cut in.

"Oh, I think all of us know what we're talking about," John said. "So, come on. Explain yourself."

"I'm sure that you both know what you're talking about," George said, forcing a smile. "I, however, am feeling a little lost. So, if someone would kindly explain to me what's going on then I'd be happy to —"

"Hey!" Barney ran up to stand with the three of them. "What do you two think you're doing, just running off like that?"

"Are we prisoners here now?" Paul asked, frowning.

"No, of course not," Barney said. "But you're still recovering and —"

"Can we talk about all that later?" John said. "There are more pressing matters at hand, and I'd really like to get them sorted out. Right now."

Barney frowned. "And what pressing matters would those be, John?"

"George has been lying!" John said, pointing an accusing finger at George.

George's mouth fell open and he spluttered, trying to come up with a response, while Barney squeezed his eyes shut and sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What — I am not — what on Earth are you talking about?!" George cried.

"George," Barney sighed.

"John and I have been talking and —" Paul began, but he, too, was interrupted.

Roger and Deaky, who was favoring his right leg and limping just a little bit, came strolling down the hallway. When they spotted three-quarters of the Beatles standing at the intersection of two corridors, both of their faces broke into wide grins and they each called out to the three of them.

"Hey!" Deaky said as they came to stand with them.

"Oh, my God!" Roger said. "Everyone's here, huh? Marbella mentioned that George is here, but no one mentioned the two of you!"

"It's been a lot to handle, but I'm glad to see you're all relatively safe."

"You'll never believe it, but they've got Brian and Freddie locked up here and we think we might have to tell them about the whole time travel thing."

"That's still up in the air! We're trying our best to not do that, Roger."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, Deaks here doesn't want to tell them. But I think it's what's best for their safety!"

"I hardly think so."

"At least they'd know what they're up against now that the F.H.O.'s hunting the lot of us, and all."

"Hm. Anyway, how're all of you?"

"It's good to see you both, yeah," John said. "But if you don't mind, we're kind of in the middle of —"

"It's so good to see you both up and about!" George said overdramatically, looking pointedly away from John. "Especially you, Deaky. How're you doing? Still not quite healed, I see, even with the twenty-third century medical technology that the medics here are working with. Are you doing okay?"

"Oh, yeah," Deaky said, brushing off George's apparent concern. "They said it would take a little longer because the bone in my ankle was totally shattered, so I thought it was going to take, like, a year! No one mentioned how much faster it was going to be. I'm almost totally healed and I'm, like, what? Two weeks post-op? Not even?"