Chapter 4

Placing a mug upon the glass table a heavy and exhausted sigh fell upon her lips. The sun shone brightly through the sheer curtains shadowing some furniture, it was still early in the morning and yet here she was, tired and stressed already.

Her body was wrapped in her robe keeping much of her skin hidden because her nightgown wasn't much of a cover.

Breakfast was served right on time as per usual. At exactly then o'clock her make up team would usher in, by eleven she would be ready for work. Communicating with the spirits and feeling their energy crippling in the crisp air was energy draining. Nothing about what she did was easy but did one bit she ever complain about all those things? No, she did not.

Errands after errands would be scheduled, that woman never had a vacant time even for an hour to be laid back. Clearly, Billie Dean was a workaholic. She would rather do work than waste her time breathing plainly with no work being done. She wanted every second of her life to be valuable so that was why she barely spent a whole week a home with her husband.

Last night she was unable to get sleep, she kept tossing around in her king sized bed in her hotel room. Her eyes won't shut and give her piece in her sleep. Billie continued questioning all of her life choices.

She knew had had put you in a very dangerous place and she couldn't be more sorry about it. Straightening her spine, she pushed back the chair and got off, her long legs were elegantly dragging her up, back in her room to prepare for the day but before that she called her assistant asking to cancel out her schedule this afternoon and the next day.

Billie wanted nothing but to see you. Just see you in the flesh, next to her. The woman didn't know what was that feeling but she won't be depriving herself with your presence.

Around ten thirty she was sauntering across the hall to her assistant's room to personally tell her that she would be going back to L.A. Before that though, she weighed her options, she could either ask you to come over but then remembered you had classes to attend or... she could be the one coming over just to see you and of course, the latter was the best choice imaginable.

"Of course Ma'am. Would that be all?" Claire asked, looking at her boss who sat elegantly on the couch

"Don't inform William that I'm coming home."

"Would you like me to book you a hotel room?" No one knew Billie purchased a penthouse other than her driver and she was determined to keep it that way, that was if she could keep herself away from you.

"I can do that myself. Have the rest of the day off. I'll you see you Sunday."

The woman said examining her red coated nails and feeling the edges. The girl nodded, mentally taking note of it, she watched her boss rose up straightened her posture and walked off.

The medium was never the one to have feelings. It was what she was scared of, because having feelings meant being vulnerable to that certain person. The last time she let herself caught some feelings, it ended up pretty badly and it was too late to go back because she married that person. It was William. Sure, divorce was very idealistic for this problem but not when her life was being threatened.

Billie Dean felt something different as she recalled how she was welcomed by those lovely eyes of yours the last time you to were together, perhaps it was the liveliness, the glint in those eyes, the aggressiveness you had, the softness in them that was able to get through her and make her stomach flutter. Now, she couldn't wait to relive that moment again. Climbing to the passenger seat, Claire waved goodbye at her boss.

Gery, Billie's personal driver closed the door and hopped into the driver's seat. The uneven beats of her heart was new, she felt them pumping so fast them it would stop and drop to her stomach and that was probably caused by the too much anticipation on meeting you.

The string of gentle knocks, took your attention out of the boiling pasta. Unlocking the door and opening it, you were surprised to their faces. "Alice. Julie... Hi." The woman put down her daughter who scurried inside to flop herself on the couch.

Moving to the side to make space so Alice you come in as well. Your sister took her beanie off, taking in the cozy warmth of your apartment. Going back in front of the stove and stirring the pasta you cleared your throat, forcing out Alice to tell you what her intention.

Fiddling with her fingers, your sister plastered a lopsided smile. "Scott and I are pretty having it bad again."

Your face remained the same, that news wasn't a shocker anymore. You kept stirring, checking on the pasta from time to time if it was cooked enough. "(y/n), are you listening."

"Yes" turning off the heat, you took a strainer in the drawer. Alice shifted her weight on her other foot, "Look, I can find someone else if you don't want to." Sighing, you put the strainer down to the side, taking off the oven mitt from your hand. You faced Alice with an exhausted face.

"I didn't say that. Julie can stay here for as long as needed be but Alice, you and Scott have to fix this shit permanently because in the end, that poor child is going to suffer."

"We will. I promise." Wasn't the first time you heard it, actually it might be the sixth time this month. So it was a little bit of annoying now. Alice walked over to the fridge, opening it to see it was fully stocked. Your shoulders dropping, rolling your eyes once more as you knew was what bound to happen.

"Can I take some of these?" She said gesturing to the yogurts. "Go." After the pasta was in a big plate you started to pour the sauce and mixing them well. "Have you had dinner?"

Alice shook her head, looking down at the pasta, it was only good for two servings.

"All right, you and Julie can have these. I'll just have a sandwich, I'm not that hungry."

"Your fridge is full and your cabinets are stocked, where did your money come from?"

Life could have been easy if she wasn't so nosy. "I'm tutoring some students. They pay me well." You lied, knowing the truth could be so ugly for Alice or for anyone to be honest. You couldn't say it was from the wife of your neighbour who you were screwing.

While your sister and niece were eating in the kitchen, you ate you peanut-butter sandwich in the living room while watching some boring show. Your phone pinged, looking down on your lap where it was situated. Opening the message, it contained the address of the luxury hotel downtown.

Assuming Billie only wanted to let you know where she was, you texted her back asking if she wanted you to come over since she didn't make it clear with the text in which she replied with a "Yes" you wondered if William knew.

Torn between wanting to see the woman and staying to be a responsible auntie, you put your head in your hand and rubbed your temple. Looking at Julie who managed to fell asleep on her own in the opposite side of the couch, you figured that you should take a pass for tonight.

– I can't tonight. Something came up.

– what is it?

– I'm babysitting my niece.

And... she didn't reply. Bothered over it, you called Alice to pick up Julie first thing in the morning saying that you had to be somewhere important and she breathlessly agreed, in the background you heard the mattress squeaking aggressively. "The fuck."