The King's Queen

Nobody knows about the little meltdowns I have when I’m alone. They only know about the smiles and laughs I show them.

•|•|•|•|•

Dave's POV.

We arrived at the hospital very quickly and got a nurse to attend to us. They had to put Kath on a stretcher and roll her to a ward. A doctor joined us quickly. “What happened?” He asked.

I looked at him distressed, “we don’t know. She just fainted, doctor do something”.

“How long has she been unconscious?” He asked again. I frantically tried to remember how long but Ayo answered instead. “About fifteen minutes” he answered confidently.

The doctor nodded and checked Kath’s heartbeat with his stethoscope. His brows furrowed, “her heartbeat is irregular. Nurse, take her to a ward. I will be there immediately”.

“Okay doctor” the nurse said and left. They had already stopped us and taken Kath inside a ward. Sandra went to the doctor, “Doctor, let me help–”.

“no Sandra, you don’t have to worry. The other nurses and I will handle this, trust me” the doctor said, assuring Sandra and left. I felt worry wash over me as I slumped, resting my back on the wall. I bent my head low and clutched my hair.

“She will be fine Dave, don’t worry too much” Ayo said consolingly, “we know Kath right? She is a fighter”.

I looked up and forced a smile, “yeah”. We stayed quiet for a bit while waiting for the doctor to tell us what happened to Kath. Sam walked to me, “the nurse wants you to fill a form for Kath’s admission. You are the only one who knows about her so go and fill it”.

“okay” I reluctantly got up and went to the receptionist. I took a pen and filled the form and I suddenly felt anxious. What happened to Kath? Will she be alright? She better be.

I returned to Kath’s ward quickly and saw the doctor talking to Ayo, Sam and Sandra. I rushed over to them, “what’s wrong doctor? What happened to her? Is she fine?”.

“Yes, she is fine. She had a high blood pressure and that caused her to lose consciousness. You brought her to the hospital in time, any longer and there would have been serious consequences” the doctor said grimly.

My heart skipped a beat as I realized what he meant. What if she died? I shook my head to rid myself of those thoughts. “Then will she wake up soon?” Sam asked.

“Yes, just give her a few hours. I will prescribe some medicine she needs to take and she should also avoid any stressful activity. This might not be the last time it will happen” The doctor advised and left. I stood in shock trying to take in all he said.

“She is fine now Dave, don’t stress it” Sandra said cupping my face, “Kath will recover sooner than you will realize it”.

I nodded, “yeah”. A nurse came to us and handed me a paper, “the doctor said I should give you this. It is the medicines you need to buy. You can get them from the pharmacy nearby”.

“Oh, thank you” I said and took the slip. I turned to Sandra, “let me go and get the medicine”.

Sandra stopped me, “no, let me. I know you want to stay here and watch over Katherine. I will get it”.