Day 1: Part 1

Sequoia POV:

Everyone turned their heads to face the trail, upon hearing the customary ‘SHWING!’ of a sword being unsheathed. Alex screamed, Maria and I ran to help, but by the time we had caught up, Kira was doubled over laughing, muttering something about our faces, Alex was holding her sides in so she wouldn’t fall over. I punched Kira in the arm, which made her stand up enough to make a coherent sentence, “We got you!” she giggled, swinging her sword dangerously close to my face. Not quite feeling like a trip to the E.R. at the moment, I took a cautious step backwards.

“Just put that thing away and start moving…” I barked humorlessly, “We have to be at the house by eight.”

Alex hesitated a bit, “C’mon Alex, they’re gonna beat us to a pulp if we don’t start to walk.” Reminded Kira, her tone more serious, and her face once again, composed. This seemed to motivate her, Kira limping behind a few feet everyone, “Just bloody leave me! You’re great friends!” She yelled, her leg starting to drip little splotches of blood on the ground, her pants leg having soaked through with the thick red liquid.

“Um, Kira, your leg is bleeding…” I pointed out, jogging behind everyone to help her.

“GATHERED!” She nearly screamed in an unsuccessful attempt to mask the obvious pain in her voice.

“Dude, calm down, it’s ok.” I said, heaving her arm over my shoulder, a clanging noise emitting from her duffel bag, “What’s in the bag?”

“I’ll show you later…” She grimaced as I helped her along. By the time we reached the farmhouse, Kira’s face was pale, her expression distant.

I waved a hand in front of her face, “Kira, Kira, c’mon dude…” Removing the duffel from her shoulder and opening my own, I shuffled around, desperately trying to find a roll of gauze.

Kira’s POV:

The world seemed to swirl around me, if it weren’t for Sequoia I would’ve been on the ground. In a moment of wonderful word association she tried to speak to me and I yelled, “Shut up Sequin!” Which seemed to get everybody’s attention, because the entire group turned and looked at me. I felt pressure wrap around my leg, a sharp pain, and then a clearing sensation in my head, as if fog was lifting from my brain. I forced myself into a sitting position and glared at my group of friends, “What’re you lookin’ at?!” My moment of fake annoyance quickly subsided as Sequoia fastened a make-shift splint, I yelped like a small dog.

She looked up at me in surprise, “What was that?”

“That…” I winced, “Was my leg hurting, like the devil. Just help me up already.” With that she grabbed my arm and pulled me up into a sitting position, I looked around at the dust covered room. The air smelled like death.