chapter 24

"We all deserve second chances, but not for the same mistake." - Thabiso Owethu Xabanisa

24.

In order to catch the culprits of Zach's murder, we decided to arrange a meeting with each pack's representatives. It was to be held at The Academy as the area was deemed neutral territory. Jeremy, the leader of Rogues, was also invited.

We all had lived through three peaceful years - there had been no interference or attacks in anyone's territory. All packs, even the Rogue community, had signed a treaty to refrain from attacking each other after the losses everyone endured in the last war. Almost half of the Southern pack got wiped out. It was decided then and there that it was foolish to fight against each other as it posed a threat to the future generation of wolves. It was better to let the species of wolves grow and develop peacefully, and focus our attention on outside risks such as human hunters.

"Evening everyone," Alpha Lennon started after clearing his throat, "as you all know, we are gathered here to investigate the murder of Zack Alejandro."

My eyes swept over the table, taking in the attendees of the meeting. Alpha Lennon and his beta Liam, Alpha Carlos and his beta Vince, Jonathan, Josh, Tyler, Jeremy and his son Xavier, ex-Alpha Chris and their new beta Aiden.

"Where's Ethan?" Jonathan mind-linked the unasked question running inside my head.

I looked at him and gave him a careless shrug.

"Let's begin by compiling all the information we have gathered till now. Then we'll move on from there."

As Alpha Lennon was about to sit in his seat, a powerful push opened the door.

"I hope I'm not late...,"

Ethan entered the room. His scent wafted inside my nose, waking each nerve ending of my body. I noticed it wasn't as strong as before. That only meant one thing - he was still wearing the silver to suppress his wolf.

My wolf let out a sad howl and retreated back in my mind, unable to fathom the pain her other half was going through.

Unconciously, my gaze went over his body. A grey sweater hid his broad shoulders which supported a wide, well-muscled chest, and long muscular legs were encased in black jeans. I forced my eyes to his face. His thick, midnight black hair spilled out of the hat he was wearing, a few unconquered curls stuck to his nape. A light stubble graced his chiseled face. The raw and intense sexual appeal he radiated demanded everyone's attention the room.

I gulped as his piercing grey eyes connected with mine. The tension in the room instantly increased as all eyes went from Ethan to me, waiting for me to make a move.

I let out a slow and controlled breath as I tried to calm my body. There was an internal war happening in my mind. At one side, I wanted to kick him out of the room but then on the other side, I wanted to let him join the meeting for he might have something significant which could contribute to the investigation.

Deciding I should rise above my own personal problems, I moved my gaze to the file placed in front of me, silently giving him my permission, not that he needed it, to attend the meeting.

The hardboard creaked under his firm footsteps as I felt him move from my peripheral vision. I still felt everyone's heated gaze on me. Frustrated, I looked up and narrowed my eyes at them, which caused all of them to immediately start looking elsewhere.

Ethan took a seat right next to Tyler, who I noticed had his jaw clenched and was tightly holding the armrest of his chair.

Once everyone was settled, the meeting began. We went through all the information that was gathered by each pack's trackers. There wasn't much to start the investigation with since there was no concrete evidence or witnesses to interview. The closest thing we had to a witness was Elliot and he was nowhere to be found.