72.

Guilty

I'm his wife, I've been worked to death by him, I ought to have a reward or salary. Yan Gen reasoned out to himself, trying to get raid of the guilt that was slowly sipping into his bones.

      The truth was he got a lot of money and even luxurious things from the wangfu to help the Wei clan who was in dire state of needs. They were a big clan in the first place, they have a lot of members including those illegitimate born Wei and many of the Shu born are being abandoned as prostitutes and slaves because the family couldn't afford to raise them anymore. Yan Gen doesn't want anymore of these innocent children to be sold or abandoned just because their illegitimate born, so he provided for them. Of course, the Wei clan wouldn't dare to abandon their legitimate born children, they're too prideful to do so.

       Though some of the Wei clan members are doing well by opening up a business, they couldn't sustain to all of them and some of them doesn't have the capital to start a business. Much of their wealth have been confiscated by the imperial government, they were lucky enough to keep their heads.

       Yan Gen have already send a letter to Zhu Mingli about it. The problem is that it would take some time for him to receive the letter and read his reply. Those Shu born Wei will already be abandoned if he waited any longer, thus he took some of his money and treasure. He'll treat it as a loan until he received Zhu Mingli's reply.

      What if he refused because he has a reasonable reason not to?

       Yan Gen shook his head, so what? he'll demand a payment for his hardwork and if it's still not enough, then he has to work harder for Zhu Mingli until he couldn't remember it and will just brush it off like it never happened. Yan Gen optimistically nodded his head, that's right. Zhu Mingli is weak to his charms, surely he will easily let it slide.

       The fifth prince's letter usually arrived every two weeks and today is the day Yan Gen should receive his reply so he was impatiently pacing back and forth at the entrance of the Wangfu, waiting for the letter's arrival for two hours now.

       “Wangfei...” Baihe whispered beside his ear. Yan Gen almost jumped in surprise. Why is this girl sneaking behind his back? He gave her a look and she continued, still in a low voice as if she was going to disclose a confidential information to him.

      “I received a letter just now” Yan Gen's heart skipped a beat in anticipation “Where? Give it to me now” he demanded yet Baihe looked hesitant to give it to him, she whispered again “I'm afraid it's not from his highness” she then looked around to see if anyone's watching them. Yan Gen mentally face palmed, her standing so close to him, whispering things and looking around made it even more suspicious.

       If anyone saw her behaving like this, they will really think that she's hiding something. “It's from Young Master Wei” with that, Yan Gen immediately marched back to his courtyard and motioned for Baihe to follow. “I need to go to the bathroom” He said in a neither loud or low voice.

       After Yan Gen read the letter, he immediately burned it. Although the Wangfu is full of the fifth prince's servants, there's a possibility that someone might be siding to another party and is spying on them.

       Nothing much was said to Wei Yuu's letter, he only assured him that he's doing fine more than he thought and is doing what he's supposed to do, he didn't say anything about where he is, how did he escape, who is he with, and what kind of things he's doing now. Yan Gen's worry lessen a bit, though he still doesn't feel reassured not knowing these things.

       That day, Yan Gen waited through out the day and didn't receive a letter from Zhu Mingli. Countless thoughts started to swirl in his mind it started to make him dizzy. Could it be that the enemy intercept the messenger? or perhaps his reply was silence because he's mad at him for helping the Wei despite of them being labeled as criminal before? It couldn't be that the Empire's army was defeated in the South?

      During dinner, Yan Gen almost puke at the smell of the broth. This isn't the first time, it happened a few times that Baihe and Meigui started to get worried, and when they were about to call the doctor, Yan Gen stopped them, forbidding them to call any doctor without his permission.

      “Wangfei... you should really summon a doctor here” Meigui persuaded again and Yan Gen shook his head in stubbornness.

      The truth is that he already has an idea of why he's having this symptoms. He missed his period and he has a terrible morning sickness, what else could it be? Although he was a man, he knew a few things about this.

      It's just that he is afraid of facing the truth, he isn't ready for it and isn't expecting to carry another life despite rolling in the sheets with Zhu Mingli.

      “Wangfei... could it be...”

       “Of course not” Yan Gen immediately denied. It can't be now, not this soon. Who knows that this petite body can be so fertile? He should have prepared a herbal contraceptive before doing the deed.

      The thing is he couldn't ask any of his personal maids to make a contraceptive, they will definitely cry their eyes out and kneel to him in hopes of changing his mind. They wouldn't always side on him and it was proven when they tattletale to Wei furen about him escaping out of the Wei estate.

      He would have make it himself if he knew how. “I'm just tired is all, I have so many things to attend to these past few days so I'm feeling a little bit sick”

      “Still... it wouldn't hurt to call a doctor to check on wangfei's body” Yan Gen started to eat, not minding his maid's naggings.

      However, he would eventually face it, he can't run away from the truth forever. Yan Gen who was in a state of denial yesterday fainted on the way to the Imperial palace.

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer