73.

Reality

CONGRATULATORY words burst out in the wangfu after a doctor was summoned and confirmed Yan Gen's pregnancy. None of their words entered Yan Gen's ears, he was just staring at an empty space, unable to accept his current predicament. His hand slowly made its way to his stomach, feeling the living thing inside his stomach though it was yet to fully form. The image of him walking with a blown stomach and giving birth give him a chill.

      What if he miscarriage or worse, he died of childbirth? The latter isn't impossible, he heard from one of his aunts that giving birth to a child for the first time feels like being ripped apart. No, they would literally be ripped down there. Yan Gen received another chill.

       Not long after, the good news of him carrying Zhu Mingli's child travelled to the palace and Noble Consort Su was greatly elated. She send him a missive that if it isn't already late, she would have personally visited him in the wangfu.

       Carrying a child of a royal blood for the first time proved to be of great importance to imperial consorts, nevertheless, they usually expected it to be a ‘boy’ rather than a girl, since the former is more favorable. They can enter the court, make name for themselves, and become an heir. Girls however, are usually used for marriage in allegiance or climb the social ladder, they don't stay in their homes for long for they will find a new home in their husbands and be dependent on them.

       Yan Gen had once thought of what gender did he prefer if he had his own child when he saw a question posted in the internet about it and his answer has always been in favor of girls. Girls are considerate, sensible, sweet, caring, and lovable. When he grew old, his daugher will be there for him, pouring him tea and taking care of him. Yan Gen thought that they are more responsible than boys, not that he's generalizing but most of them are, per his observation in his first lifetime. He's a son himself and he knew how troublesome he is and his male friends, they were probably the cause of their parents' headache most of the time.

      It doesn't mean that Yan Gen has completely accepted his pregnancy though. He lived as a male for the past eighteen years of his life and now he's living as a female in another world for only a year and half. How could he cope up with this in just a short amount of time?

     Men, they only shot their desire while women bear the pain. Yan Gen let out a heavy sigh, earning a look from his pretty maids.

      “Wangfei...” Meigui called in hesitation “are you not happy?” she carefully asked and one can see the concern on her face. Yan Gen didn't answer, he continued staring at an empty space. Better not to answer her question or the servants in the wangfu might take the wrong idea. But it isn't completely wrong, right?  He truly doesn't want to get pregnant at this moment and he doesn't really love Zhu Mingli. If anything, it was the truth they're going to hear if he truly answer Meigui's question, thus he keep his mouth shut.

      Seeing their mistress mood, Meigui and his other personal maids retreated to let him rest.

       The next day, Yan Gen is completely in a bad mood, he feels horrible. He has no idea morning sickness can be this terrible, and whatmore, he feels nauseated when his breakfast was served. Good thing he managed to hold it until his maid offered him an empty pot to puke. He feels so drain like a dried fish.

       He has no idea his mom has to go through this suffering before successfully giving birth to him. I kowtow to all the mothers.

      It makes him wonder how his original mom is faring right now, his dad too. Is Wei Zhilan truly in his manly body right now and if she is, is she treating them well? Yan Gen smiled a bit. What if he's actually dead? His parents must be devastated because of his death. Yan Gen hoped that they're doing well now.

      “Noble Consort Su is here, Wangfei” Baihe informed him as soon as he finished his breakfast, albeit in difficulty. Yan Gen let out a heavy breath, he definitely can't reject her visit despite his desire to be left alone and think through things.

       “Greetings to your high--” Noble Consort Su immediately waved away his ceremonial formal greetings “No need to stand in ceremony with me, bengong told you already, we are family” she said in a gentle voice while holding his hands and even supporting him back to his seat.

     Her eyes were sparkling and her lips were upturned in a warm smile. “Bengong has been worried about you throughout the night, considering that it is your first time giving birth, it will be hard on your part. Hence, bengong has taken the liberty to assign a five experienced mama from the palace by your side. You need not to be worried. They are my trusted servants, they have been serving me since the time I stepped in the palace, two of them have helped the Empress Dowager before in giving birth to his majesty.”

      Noble Consort Su's mood is the complete opposite of Yan Gen who feels like heaven and earth have fallen on him. It was like she's the one going to give birth with how cautious she is with his pregnancy, she also told him about the things she should be careful at, what foods he should be avoiding and should eat. She told him a lot of things about pregnancy Yan Gen can hardly recall her words.

       When it was nearing the afternoon, Noble Consort Su reluctantly left the wangfu, giving him a few glimpse and a few perfunctory words before finally deciding to leave.

      He was also told not to mention his pregnancy to Zhu Mingli as it will probably effect his focus in war. Not that he was planning to inform him about it when he's yet to accept it himself anyway.

       Noble Consort Su didn't mention it but it seems like she is really eager to have his son came back in victory before Zhu Deming does. Because the latter is expected to ended the war in western border sooner and thus can come back to the capital soon.

       It seems that as time passed, the Emperor's health didn't improve, it got worse instead, to the point that he has to suspend the court meetings sometimes or dismissed the court early.

       No wonder Noble Consort Su is eager to have his son march in the capital earlier than Zhu Deming.

      Of course, the Emperor's health shouldn't be disclose to the public hence the Emperor's personal eunuch came up with many reasons to his majesty's absence. The people who have spend much of their time in the palace and politics however, can tell that the emperor is probably nearing his time.

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer