Chapter 3: A Trip to the Castle

Recap: (Y/n) goes to trial, where she is sentenced to a year of servitude in the castle.

It was early when the two guards walked into (Y/n)'s cell and lead her towards an overcrowded wagon. However this time, her hands were bound together by a piece of thick, rope. (Y/n) looked around and scoffed. The people on the wagon were mostly women and children, who all looked too scared to even consider escaping. The young female thought it was unnecessary especially with the soldiers that walked behind the wagon.

(Y/n) had no plans of escaping. She had accepted her sentence, after all it could have been much worse. So with this mindset, she moved around a bit trying to get comfortable for the ride.

They had been on the road about an hour when one of the children started crying. The said child was a little boy, who sat clutching his mother's dress. The mother tried to calm the boy, softly singing a song in a language the (h/c) haired girl didn't recognize. Instead of calming the boy, the tun only made him begin to scream and cry, hiccuping every now and then. The soldiers trailing behind the wagon were growing irritated by the sound.

"Shut that boy up," one grumbled.

The mother tried a different approach and attempted to rub the boy's head, however her bound hands made it difficult. It was clear that the child had no intention of settling down any time soon.

(Y/n) felt bad for him and his mother. They were probably taken because of unpaid taxes. That was usually the main reason mothers and their children were taken.

"Stop!" a voice yelled causing the cart to come to a halt.

"I told you to shut that child up woman! Maybe I should do it for you"

(Y/n) looked towards the soldier who was speaking. He had badges on his uniform--no doubt a high official. His hair was greasy and short. It's dark color contrasted against his sickly complexion. She watched him approach the woman and her child. He threw out his hand roughly grabbing the boy by his hair, making him cry harder.

"Do I have to teach you a lesson you little shit!?" he yelled at the boy.

(Y/n) twitched in her seat, praying that the man would go away. However there was no such luck as the soldier reared his hand back and hit the boy across the face. The child's head whipped to the side from the force and blood dripped from his nose.

At this, the mother started screaming. She reached for the boy with her bound hands but the soldier still held a tight grip on the boy.

"SHUT UP BITCH" This time his hand directed his anger at the mother. She also began to cry from the impact.

The soldier raised his hand again preparing another strike at the boy, but (Y/n) had seen enough. She quickly rose from the bench and put herself in front of the child, her hands raised to soften the impact. She felt the painful burn of the slap. There would be a red spot where he had hit, but she didn't want to imagine what would have happened had the force hit the child's face.

"And who do you think you are? Don't you know to mind your own business?" he yelled at the young female.

(Y/n) said nothing but raised her head and spit on the soldier. If he was angry before, he would have been fuming now. He wiped the moisture off his face with a twisted smile.

"You think this is funny?"

The female in question certainly didn't find the situation amusing, however before she could reply she was dragged off the cart and thrown onto the ground. She groaned as the impact shot pain through her already injured arm.