41. pain

the morning air bites at the two runaways skin as taehyung tries to keep up with jungkook's pace.

his laces become an intertwined mess of strings and he comes close to tripping, but he rather keep running than ask jungkook to stop for him to tie them.

there isn't any sound of sirens as they race through alleys and between cheap restaurants and grungy houses.

jungkook refuses to let on the fact that his body aches and is screaming for him to stop, but he perseveres. the feeling of wind being knocked out of his lungs from the impact is enough to make his head throb and ears ring.

taehyung's breathing is heavy and pained as his legs become weak and honestly his biggest desire is to curl up on the ground. jungkook takes note of this and slows down.

silently, taehyung notices jungkook slow to a walk, the scuffing noises of his shoes on asphalt coming to a rest.

they're in between a baby blue stucco building and a dusty white shop, ahead, a busy street racing with cars and decorated with low rental homes and side walk. a few people walk with broken shopping carts from old stores filled with groceries and junk.

jungkook furrows his eyebrows, blindly leaning against the wall as taehyung collapses to the ground, clutching his knees to his chest.

both of the boys pant as they catch their breath.

"how did they find us," taehyung murmurs, almost silently.

"i've left leads all over," jungkook stated, holding his hands on his knees as pain surges through his legs.

"it's my fault," taehyung confessed, palms shaking. "i probably left something or did something and they followed a trail."

"it's not," jungkook assured, wanting to end this conversation.

"it is," taehyung pleaded as jungkook's eyebrows furrowed and he adjusted his dress pants, which were the least suitable pants for running.

"jesus christ, stop saying everything is your fault."

taehyung felt a sharp sting in his heart as jungkook snapped at him.

jungkook sighed, regretting his harsh words, as he leaned his head against the wall. taehyung held his breath and tried to words to say.

"we should call someone," taehyung bit his bottom lip apprehensively as his words flooded out.

"like who," jungkook apologetically laughs, thinking of the zero people they could call.

"maybe jin. just to let someone know we're safe, in case, well... there's going to be stories on the news now."

jungkook is about to criticize taehyung's idea when he sees the concern in his brown eyes.

"please," taehyung begged. "i just want someone to know we're fine."

cramming into a small free pay phone booth, taehyung awkwardly stood shoulder to shoulder with jungkook as the crummy old phone was dialed. he's thankful for the comfort provided by being able to lean into jungkook as his heart rate slowly relaxes and he finds his inner peace again.