47. polaroid

the rain just didn't give up.

everything from after the fight that night was blurred like polaroid film. taehyung strung together pieces, like the jungkook winning, police sirens, and officers shutting down the venue. memories didn't stand out, though.

 memories didn't stand out, though

jeon jungkook. we here by state that in the court of law you are acquitted for the crimes you have been previously accused with: multiple accounts of murder, conspiracy to commit crime, frame, and you may now be considered a free citizen.

kim namjoon. you are guilty in the court of law for multiple accounts of murder, narcotics trafficking, frame, and conspiracy to commit crime.

jung hoseok. you are guilty in the court of law for murder for hire, embezzlement, extortion, and illegal gambling.

news lines. articles. court cases. paper work. signatures. threats. prison cells.

the tall windows held the sight of grey skies as taehyung lay hopelessly in bed in jungkook's suite. occasionally he would check the time, but  the majority of the time he stared up at the ceiling, fighting back tears.

he didn't get to see jungkook after that. he didn't get to hug him or kiss him or even congratulate him.

slowly memories faded in. jin comforting taehyung's hyperventilating self in the back of a taxi. trying to explain the entire situation. hoseok is hand cuffs. jungkook was even in hand cuffs.

taehyung blinked, a tear cascading down his cheek, trying to force the memories away. his previously stunning hair was now ruined and frizzy.

his thoughts cycled over and over as he wished for them to stop.

when he finally got up, he sat in one of the bar stools and shakily picked up the land line phone.

"hey, mom," taehyung stammered, not even sure why he was calling home again because he knew he couldn't handle extra emotions. "d-did you hear the news?"

"sweetie?" taehyung's mom smiled with gratitude as she heard her son's voice again. "we're just so happy you're safe, but we're still concerned and aching for you to be home, taehyung. are you okay?"

"mom, i'm fine," taehyung tried to emphasize even though tears were falling. "it's messed up but i'm fine."

there was a pause on the other line.

"mom, i need you to know that he cares about me. he wasn't scary to me- or at least, after he kidnapped me- god, this is so messed up, but i promise he's never hurt me. i know you'll never be able to forgive him but he's a good person."

his mom sighed, not wanting to make the situation worse. "sweetie, i love you. that's all i can tell you right now."

taehyung hesitantly held the phone in his hand as everything felt darker and more painful. "i'm going to hang up now, mom. i love you."

retreating to the couch and switching the tv on, even more news reports flash across the screen. it makes taehyung queasy to see his own face accompanied with rumours.

he wanted to change the channel, but sleep seemed like a much better escape as rain beat against the window.

-

jungkook couldn't wait to get out of the court house. it felt like it was never going to end.

lawyers, judges, orders.

at least he was coming clean but it still felt like he was losing a part of him. maybe his identity.

the person he had to be.

the person everyone knew him as.

the person he never wanted to be.

he sighed as the judge's words never ended, and eventually when he was dismissed, he was handed an umbrella for the harsh rain and more paper work to sign. the first step into the world without being a criminal felt in one word: breathtaking.