C H A P T E R F O U R ( C O N T ')

Song: Come and See My Moda by MzVee ft. Yemi Alade

CHAI, LOOK AT the ring oh! Chidinma thought as she looked at the ring with a bright, blue sapphire resting on her ring finger

CHAI, LOOK AT the ring oh! Chidinma thought as she looked at the ring with a bright, blue sapphire resting on her ring finger. She rolled her eyes as she jokingly scoffed, what am I talking about? The thing that is not even fine sef. Yesterday, Xante proposed to her and a grin overcame her face as she thought about the night. The man in question. The proposal. The ring. Then, she bit her bottom lip when she thought about the way his lips expertly caressed hers.

Damn.

"Doctor N, why are you smiling?" The four-year-old boy asked weakly, snapping Chidinma out of her daydream. She was called in for an early-morning shift and couldn't wait to get back home and squeal with her other best friends, Fatima and Lolade, who were waiting for her at home.

"Well, Jake, I'm smiling because I'm surprisingly happy," She replied gently to the little boy who had fainted this morning due to his low iron level.

"Nosy-ass child," Her best friend, Imani, sniveled in a whisper to Chidinma as they turned to get him a lollipop. Chidinma had to bite her tongue from laughing. Imani was never a morning person and sometimes, kids brought out the worst in her.

"Mr. Turner, your kid will be just fine. Just make sure you give him his iron tablets daily," Chidinma said to Jake's dad who was watching her with an expression of adoration and lust. More lust, however.

"Thank you, Doctor N. And I was wondering if you happen to be free this evening," The bold Mr. Turner asked with his eyes on her breasts. Before she could respond, Imani lifted her best friend's left hand in response.

"Sorry, she's taken. Have a good day, Mr. Turner," Imani replied rudely. As Chidinma and Imani left the hospital after signing out, they couldn't contain their laughter.

"You see that man and his child? Both like poking their nose where it does not belong, eh," Chidinma said bemusedly.

"The look on his face," Imani breathed out as she entered the Tesla, throwing her bag in the back seat.

"Some people no get-" Chidinma's reply was cut off by the ringing of her phone. When she checked the caller ID, she shushed Imani's laughter and showed her the phone.

"It's my mom," She whispered in fear.

"Answer," Imani hurriedly replied. Chidinma answered the call.

"Hello, mummy,"

"You cannot greet, again?" Before Chidinma could retort that 'hello' was a greeting, her mom cut her off, "I'm at LAX in border control. I will be out in about 30 minutes. I need you to pick me up," At this, Chidinma and Imani's eyes widened in surprise.

How could she be here?

"Mummy, how are you in LA?" Chidinma asked in shock.

"My village people paid for my God is Good bus," Her mother replied, sarcasm dripping from her words, "Why are you even asking me questions? Abeg, come and pick me up, jo!" She said, ending the call before Chidinma could object.