21. 𝗺𝗮𝘆𝗯𝗲 𝘄𝗲 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗶𝗰𝗲

"HELLO, DARLING."

Darcy greets Sofia with her phone pressed against her cheek. She was staying the night at the Stark's because Pepper thought it was way too late for her to drive home in the dark road, knowing how scary it looks, so she made Darcy stay for the night--something the blonde woman seems to do whenever Darcy and Sofia go over.

It was cute.

Tony had given her one of his shirts while Pepper gave her sweats; they normally leave pajamas in the spare room for both women whenever they stay late and crash at their home.

"Oh, I love it when you call me that," soft laughter came from the other line of the phone. Darcy could feel her heart warm from the sound, like a beautiful melody to her ears. Although Sofia hates her laugh, Darcy adored her laugh, even the little snorts Sofia often does when she laughs hard. "Are you home yet? I wanna come see you."

A fond smile grows on the martial artist's lips. "Unfortunately, no. I lost track of time, and Pepper insisted I stay the night," there was some commotion coming from Sofia's end of the call, a young man's voice shouting, but it was far away. "Is that Danny? Tell that cheeky boy I said hi."

"Pepper is such a mother hen. I love her," Sofia says. Darcy could hear the smile through her words. "Aye, dummy, Darcy says, 'hi.'"

Rummaging came from the other line, before there were small grunts and annoyed shouting from Sofia. "Darc! Wassup, my British friend?"

Sniggering at the young boy, she shakes her head and leans back onto the pillows. "Hey, dude. You know, I'm also half American, right?"

"Duh. It's just cooler that you're British," there was a loud smack. "What the hell, Sofie? Mom! Mami, Sofie hit me!"

"He's lying! Dammit, Mom's gonna hit me with her shoe," Darcy laughs abruptly, clamping her lips shut immediately. "Don't laugh, babe. You know how my mom is; she's crazy, I swear. I'm a grown woman, and yet, she thinks she can still try to smack me with her shoe."

Darcy smiles fondly because she has met Sofia's family, and the woman adores them. It took the family a while for them to want to meet her, already knowing Darcy's background due to being exploited all over social media, Darcy didn't have a good reputation; however, the woman was trying to redeem herself, which she felt like she accomplished when Sofia's mother finally accepted her into their family.

It was amazing being part of a family other than her superhero family. It was a real one.

It reminded her too much of her own family, and Darcy would often find herself thinking back to her mother, how they used to enjoy their days other than training for S.H.I.E.L.D., or when she'd hang out with her dad, and they'd play football.

"I miss Val. I feel like I haven't seen her in ages," Darcy pouts.

"Darcy? Is that you?"

Giggling, Darcy nods for some reason. "Hi, Val."

"Mami," Sofia tries pleading, but her mom cuts her off.

"Shut up, dummy. Darcy, why you don't come to see me?" Valeria, Sofia's mother, was practically yelling into the phone. "I make tamales 'cause I know that they're your favorite."

"I know. Maybe I'll be able to visit you soon. I have to see when I'm not busy with work."

As Valeria went to speak, Sofia immediately cuts her off. "No, Mami, stop. I'm trying to talk to my girlfriend! Hush!" A scuffle came from the phone before a loud smack and her mother speaking loudly in Spanish. Darcy chuckles. "Ugh, I'll call you tomorrow, babe--Mom, stop slapping me!"