Chapter 14

Remus's head shot up and when he saw Jenna, he smiled and waved her over. Smiling weakly, Jenna went forward and took the seat next to him.

"Alright, then. Should we get started?" said Jenna, taking her potions' book out of her bag.

"Oh, yeah." Remus nodded, showing Jenna his parchment. "I've started it already, but I can't get past line four. And it's supposed to be two full rolls of parchment."

"Let me have a look," Jenna took his paper, reading the few lines. "Good start. You can also add explanations about the ingredients, you know; powdered moonstone and unicorn horn."

"Oh, right. Hang on," he said, taking out his quill and ink bottle.

Jenna watched him without even noticing it herself, as Remus started to write down quickly.

When he felt Jenna's eyes on him, he looked up back at her, causing her to look away abruptly.

After an hour, Remus finally managed to finish his essay with the help of Jenna. He sighed in relief, putting his stuff back in his bag.

"Thank you, Jenna. I really couldn't do it without you," said Remus earnestly.

Jenna felt her cheeks heat up before shaking her hand reassuringly, "Don't mention it."

"Do you have anything else to do tonight?" Remus asked, catching Jenna off guard. "Before dinner, I mean. We've got an hour before we have to go to the Great Hall."

"Err – no. Nothing. I mean – I'm free tonight," Jenna nodded, mentally slapping herself for her choice of words.

"Great!" said Remus fervently. "Then how about we – uh – go for a stroll?"

Jenna nodded eagerly, feeling so happy as if Christmas had come earlier. So standing up, she left the library along with Remus.

     "So how was practice today?" Remus asked after a few minutes of awkward silence.

     "It was alright." Jenna shrugged. "I mean, James tried to sneak the snitch for the hundredth time this year, but other than that, it went quiet uneventful."

     Jenna turned her head on him when he made no sign of replying, that she caught him staring at her.

     "You okay?"

     Remus quickly shook his head, looking away. "Err – sorry. I was just – admiring your hair."

      "Really?" Jenna chuckled as they were finally out of the castle.

      "Yeah," Remus rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I mean... I don't think I've ever seen your own hair. What's your original hair color, anyway? Is it black like James, or blonde like your mum's?"

      "I suppose it's brown." Jenna shrugged. "My parents told me that it was pink when I was born, then it turned blue, and then red. I tried to turn it brown whenever I felt emotionless."

     By then, they had reached the Black Lake and sat down on the grass, with the beautiful reflection of the twilight on the still water.

     "I've never seen it brown, now come to think of it." Remus said thoughtfully.

     "Well, I haven't turned it back to normal in a few years, to be honest."

     "Can I see – I mean, can you turn it back for a second?" said Remus, almost stammering. "I'm just – curious."

     It felt weird, but Jenna tried to focus, and in a matter of seconds, her hair turned dark brown, longer and curlier than her usual messy hair.

     "Wow," was all Remus managed to say, as if in a daze. Jenna smiled shyly, looking down. "Why don't you turn it brown more often? I think it's better than any other."

    Realizing he was still staring at her, Remus shook his head and cleared his throat, looking away. "You look very – er – pretty." he said in a small voice.

      "Thanks, Rem – AARGH!" Jenna was trying to say, but out of nowhere, a large black dog jumped out of the bush near them.

     The dog ran and jumped on top Jenna, causing her to fall backwards on the grass as he straddled her, licking her on the face.

     Jenna laughed as she tried to get the big dog to stop licking her all over the face. "Who is – this guy!" Jenna said between roars of laughter.

     "Oi! Get off her, Snuffles!" with that, the dog got off Jenna, yet remained close to her on the grass.

    Wiping her tears away from laughter, Jenna turned her head around, watching James pacing angrily towards them, with Peter right behind him.

     Even Remus's face had turned red as they both him and James glared down at the black dog. Although Peter looked highly impressed, watching the scene with excitement.

     "Snuffles, did you say?" Jenna giggled, petting the dog who seemed to be enjoying the caresses. "Where did you find him?"

     "In the trash, where his corpse will lay after I'm done with him," James snarled in a dark voice, catching Jenna off guard.

     "Merlin's beard, James! Calm down. It's just a dog." She said, planting a small kiss on his snout. "I thought you loved animals."

     But that managed to get James even angrier, for some reason. "Oh, he's an animal, alright."

But after breathing a few times to calm himself, James finally managed to smirk.

     "Say, Jenna," James started seriously. "I was actually hoping to keep him. But you know how male dogs get when they reach maturity..."

     "Sure," said Jenna, confused. But as if the dog could see where this was going, he took careful steps backwards and away from Jenna.

     "Well," James continued more sternly, "you don't happen to know any desex spells, do you?"

     "No," Jenna shook her head, watching the dog looking at James with what seemed to be horror. "But I can check the library for it, if you want."

     By those words, the dog turned around and ran away into the bushes. The three boys roared out in laughter, yet Jenna was left confused.

     "What just happened?"