55. Crazy In Love

Evan

The sight of her sipping the coffee brought a smile to my face but when I realised that it was temporary and she will go away soon, a muscle in my chest tightened. A week ago, I could have extended my arm and touch her but due to one mistake, I lost the right to do so.

"I need to take some clothes with me." She said, breaking the chain of my thoughts. "Can I go to your room?"

"It's our room, Scarlet. Yours and mine." I whispered and she stared at me. "I hope you know that it's not just Cara who wants you back." I admitted because the days without her were an absolute hell for me.

Rosy colour rose to her soft cheeks and she smiled, her dimples started to deepen. "If you want me back, then tell me what am I to you? Say it, Evan." Her brown eyes bore into mine.

"I..." I wanted to accept my love to her. I wanted to tell her how much she meant to me but the words couldn't reach my tongue. The image of Eliza in front of my eyes stopped me from admitting. Saying it aloud meant there was no return from it. Saying it aloud meant Scarlet would replace Eliza in my life for good. Saying it aloud meant burning Eliza's place from my mind forever. "I... I.... Um..."

"I heard what I needed to hear." Scarlet said and stood up from the bed. She looked disappointed at me and I felt like smacking my head for being so stupid.

"Scarlet, listen..."

"No Evan. I don't want to listen to something that you are not sure of." She said and walked out of the room. I wanted to run after her but Cara shifted in her place and I rested my arm over her to calm her. By the time I left Cara's room, Scarlet and Nate were already gone.

With drooped shoulders, I walked back to my room, cursing myself internally for not telling her what I feel. It's been five years since she died and there was nobody I would rather move on than Scarlet. I had to stop blaming myself for falling in love again, I had to stop myself from pushing Scarlet away again and again.

Once I reached my bed, I sat down on the floor beside it and opened the drawer of my night stand. I took out the picture that I had hid there once things started to get better between Scarlet and I; the picture of my first wife. A memory played in front of my eyes, of the day when she officially became mine.

"You, Eliza Finnick are the love of my life." I said to her. She was definitely the prettiest bride of the world. "On this day of our wedding, I promise you that from today onwards, I am yours with all I have. My heart is yours, my soul is yours and my body is yours. You are everything I need now."

'Is it okay to fall in love twice?' I asked the picture which obviously didn't reply. 'What am I doing Eliza? Am I crazy?'

"You aren't crazy, just in love with two equally amazing women." A voice in my head replied.

Now I am hearing voices too. Yep, totally crazy.

...........

The whole next day, I tried my best to focus my attention on work instead of Scarlet. Cara was now sleeping in her room after the doctor came to check her and assess her recovery. I didn't want to take a break until she was awake. It was only when Gabe's stomach grumbled then I finally let him go to eat something from the kitchen.

I waited for him to return but when half an hour passed and he didn't bless me with his presence, that's when I decided to follow him back to the kitchen.

My eyes furrowed in confusion when I found him talking to Geena, his usually icy pale face blushing a little. She was saying something funny and in response, he was passing her a wide, toothy grin.

"If you're done flirting, would you like to come back to the office?" I gave him a glare. He gulped in return and the color flew away from his face.

"Y.... Yes... Sir..."

"Oh, come on, Evan. Let him take a break." A familiar voice said from behind. I turned around and found Helena standing behind me, her usual smirk on her face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Didn't you inform everyone you were working from home? Where else was I supposed to come?" She said and walked forwards to my home office. Rolling my ice, I followed her as she sashayed forwards, her heels clicking against the marble.

"Scarlet isn't here." I told her, in case she didn't know.

"I know. For your information, I meet her daily." She said once she entered the office and sat freely in front of my desk.

"Oh, I forgot you are dating that Liam kid." I said. When I heard she was going out with him, I couldn't contain my surprise. He was definitely not her type but nothing can be said about Helena.

"Oh come on, he is just a year younger than me." She rolled her eyes and picked up the covered glass of water that was in front of me. "Besides, don't get jealous. You're still my favourite man."

"Whatever." I said and opened a file in front of me.

"When are you going to bring your wife back?" She asked and my hands stopped at her mention.

"It's none of your business, Helena." I reminded her.

"It is. She misses you and you miss her. Then why do you prefer suffering?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Helena, I am working. Cara is going to wake up soon. Don't disturb me." I said and ignored her calculative gaze on me.

"You deserve happiness, Evan. You both do. Go on, admit your love to her." She said, breaking my concentration.

Sighing, I closed the file and put it aside. I knew I needed a friend but my ego was too big to admit that. "I will. I just don't know how." I whispered.

"You know how. You are just afraid that you won't be loyal to Eliza anymore." She said and put her hand on top of mine. "It's okay to feel, Evan. It's okay to fall in love more than one time. Nobody is judging you, not even Eliza."

"Who are you and what have you done to my friend?" I asked mischievously because Helena was never this thoughtful. She was always a rebel who treated men like sandals.

"So you finally admit that I am your friend?" She asked and I rolled my eyes once again. "I have changed now. I have fallen in love and it's a beautiful feeling." She smiled.

After she left, I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes. Scarlet's face appeared in front of my eyes and a smile made its way to my lips.

_______________________

The chapter is a little shorter. Sorry for that but there was nothing else to write in Evan's POV.

Have you read all my books? Which one is your favourite?