Chapter 36

Ava's POV

It has been a few hours since Samantha was taken in. We waited in the hospital for Antonio and the rest of the guys to come. Sam's contractions were far apart and she was only 4 cm dilated. It is going to be a while before she is ready to push the baby. Mrs. Rossi was inside with her and Adele and I were waiting outside. Monica had stayed home to look after Alex as I couldn't bring him to the hospital.

"I'm here! I'm here! Where is she?" Asked Antonio panting heavily.

"Calm down, Antonio. She is fine and inside with your mother." I said smiling.

"Come with me, I'll tell the nurse to take you inside." said Adele.

Daniel and his father arrived shortly after with Amadeo just behind. My breath hitched when I saw him. It has been so long since we met and now, he was staring right at me.

"What's up, sunshine?" Daniel said hugging me.

"I'm good. How are you?" I said smiling.

"Same old, same old. Working hard to brighten up everybody's day." he said.

I laughed. Gio nodded at me politely. I was now starting at Amadeo again.

"Let us go get a cup of coffee, figilio." said Gio dragging Daniel away with him leaving Amadeo and I alone. I decided to cut the tension and say, "Hi."

"Hi." he said.

"C'è una sala d'attesa proprio in fondo al corridoio se si desidera attendere il paziente." said a nurse.

Amadeo nodded. "Grazie" he said.

"There is a waiting room down the hallway for us to stay." he said.

"Okay." I said as I followed him there.
It was a small room with chairs to sit on and a water cooler. Nothing fancy. The room was empty except for the two of us. We stepped in and closed the door. I was fidgeting with the hem of my shirt unsure of what to do next. Amadeo came and stood beside. He was looking out the window and hadn't said anything. I had to be the brave one as it was I who had hurt him. I reached for his hand and took it in mine. He turned around to look at me and I launched myself on him. My arms went around his neck. Soon his arms also wrapped around me and that's all it took for me to break down.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Amadeo." I said between sobs.

I broke apart our embrace and said, "I never meant to hurt you or anyone else. I didn't know what to do."

He wiped my tears with his fingers.

"You have hurt me, Ava." he began. "I never once had thought about risking your or Alex's life."

"I realize that now Amadeo. I was scared that my brother's actions would put Alex in the line especially if his parentage was revealed. I was terrified of my child's safety. I have nothing else to admit other than that. I did what I thought was right at that point, hiding him away." I said.

His jaw hardened. He closed his eyes and again opened them.

"Do you fear me Ava?" he asked seeming so vulnerable.

I went near him and said, "No." shaking my head. "I don't."

He grabbed onto my waist holding me real tight. My heart raced and breaths were quicker. "Do you think I'm some monster who would intentionally hurt a child just because his father has wronged me?"

I shook my head no.

"Do you know what it felt like when I discovered the truth? How bad it hurt when you didn't answer my same question a few days ago?" he asked his eyes blazing with anger.