Chapter 07

"If you guys never would have brought him here, non of this would have happened. What were you thinking?" The longer the sentence went on, the more agitation filled Mal's voice.
     Carlos, Evie and Jay had made their way in the Hole, even after Mal had tried her best to keep them out. They had explained the situation to their friend, who clearly wasn't happy.
     "He was gonna come with or without us." Evie defended their actions. "We just wanted to protect him."
     Carlos stood up from the couch. "Yeah. And we completely blew it."
     "Okay," Jay interrupted them before the conversation could escalate even more. "Okay, so what are we gonna do?"
     "We are not doing anything." Mal stated. "This is between Uma and me, and she's a punk. And guess what, now I have to go get him."
     "Whoa, whoa, whoa, Mal." Carlos spoke up. "You're still gonna have to go through Harry Hook and..." Carlos fell silent, not wanting to say it.
     "And Myra." Jay eventually finished. His voice was filled with the same sadness as everyone was feeling. A new silence fell between the four friends. Jay looked down at his chest, there, on a black string, hung a silver ring. The one he had stolen from Myra the day they had left the Isle of the Lost. He had told her she would have it back in six days, needles to say that didn't work out.
     "I will just- talk Myra out of it. Easy." Mal tried to sound self assured, but there still were some traces of doubt in her words.
     "I don't know, M," Evie spoke up. "You should have seen her... there was so much anger in her eyes. It was..."
     "Terrifying." Carlos finished Evie's sentence.
     The daughter of Maleficent thought bout their words for a moment. "I can convince her. I know I can."
     "But what if you can't?" Evie questioned. "Than you still have to deal with her, Harry, Uma and the others."
     "Yeah, you're gonna need us." Jay stated.
     "Uma said to come alone." Mal's voice was a bit calmer now, trying to make their friends see reason. Even though that was exactly what Evie thought she was doing as well.
     "Mal, come on."
     "She said to come alone." Carlos was the first to give in. Realizing that going in against the wishes of the new ruler of the Isle and the abductor of the King of Auradon would be foolish. "I know one thing, I'm not going anywhere." And with that, Carlos let himself fall back on the couch that stood behind him.
     Jay looked up from the ring he had been messing with, snapping back out of his thoughts. "We'll be here when you get back." Not waiting for the permission of Evie- knowing she was still against the idea- Mal turned and walked out of their hideout, on her way to see what Uma wanted.

🐾●°●🐭●°●🐾

Ben struggled to get back, but the pole he was bound to preventing him from getting away. Once Myra and Harry had captured him, they had moved him to their ship in the docks where they had bound him to one of the pole's inside the Cabin. Uma wanted him locked away so no one else would find out he was there. Myra had been assigned to watch over him while she was working at her mother's shop, waiting for Mal to show up.
     Myra, who was sitting on the chair behind the desk, looked up at Ben. He hadn't been struggling for the past hours, so why start now? "What's wrong, my Lord? The ropes not comfortable enough?"
     Ben glanced to Myra, but quickly looked back to something that hang above him. "No... that's not..." He started, "do you guys know, you've got rats?"
     Myra looked up at the pole, and bursted out laughing. There, above Ben's head, a few inches away from his face, sat Lunch. "That's Lunch."
     "You eat those creatures?" Ben asked in a panicked voice, only causing Myra to laugh more.
     "Of course not! Why should I eat my best friend?" The girl questioned as she stood up from the chair and made her way to the King. Seeing the boy's confusion Myra decided to give a little more information. "That rat is my pet, his name is Lunch. No worries, he won't bite. He's just curious." When Ben still didn't take his scared eyes off of the creature, Myra stuck out her hand to him.
     "Come'n, Lunch. You're scaring the hostage." Lunch didn't seem to care much, but stepped on Myra's hand non the less.
     "Thank you." Ben said, being able to stand a little more comfortable now Lunch was out of his personal space.
     "Don't thank me," Myra spoke as she walked back to her place in the chair. "I don't want you to step on him ones he reached the floor."
     Ben fell silent again, observing Myra. He had heard her name many times before, but this girl didn't match the description his friends had given him. Yes, she seemed to wear mostly green and have an attachment to rats. But her hair wasn't short, nor was she wearing a cloak. Of course people can easily change those things, but this wasn't a calm, calculated person. Mal always said their friend Myra liked to stay in the background and keep her thoughts for herself, but this girl gave orders and spoke her mind. Did she really change that much?
     As Ben observed her, Myra took something out of a pocket. For a moment he thought it was a small dagger, but it turned out to be a pen. The girl didn't pay him any attention as she started to draw something on her arms. Then he saw it. Attached on a leather strap that hang from her right shoulder to her left hip, was a wooden flute with golden details.
     "So you are the Pied Pipers daughter?" The question sounded more like a statement.
     "What gave it away?" Myra asked uninterested as she continued marking her skin.
     "Not much, to be honest I thought there must be more Myra's on the Isle."
     "Why's that?" The girl's interest still wasn't with the King, but talking might help with her boredom.
     "The others talked a lot about you. Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay. They miss you a lot."
     Myra scoffed at his words. "I thought people from Auradon aren't aloud to lie. Guess you're not that big of a goody-two-shoes after all."
     Even though Myra still didn't look up, Ben noticed a slight change in her posture. "I'm not lying." He said, "Carlos keeps talking about you. Mostly to Dude, his dog. But I hear him sometimes. He thinks you'd love the forests and the taste of grapes."
     "Carlos has a dog? Well that is unexpected." Myra was trying to ignore the feeling that was attempting to take over by focusing on the sounds outside, but it was hard when Ben continued.
     "He does. And Evie, she makes dresses and sells them. I saw her sketchbook once, she has over seven pages with designs just for you. Of course in those drawings your hair is still short-"
     Myra slammed the pen on the table, "shut it." She said through gritted teeth. His words hurt. Even if they were lies, the idea alone was enough to make her feel like she got stabbed in the chest.
     "I think Jay misses you the most."
     "Stop talking." Myra's voice had started to sound more like a growl, but Ben didn't stop. He saw this hurt her, but he knew that if this indeed was the same girl, she needed to know. She needed to know they hadn't stopped thinking about her, that they didn't want to leave her.
     "He goes quiet when your name's brought up. And Jay has this silver ring bound to a cord around his neck. He never takes it off. Always twirls it between his fingers when he's thinking."
     "If you wanne keep your tongue you stop right there!"
     "He said it's a good luck charm, but when I asked Mal about it she said it was yours. She said he couldn't part with it because you weren't with him anymore." Myra jumped up, the chair falling on the ground with a loud bash. But Ben still didn't stop, he only started talking faster. "Mal used to joke about going back to get you, but now I'm not sure if she was actually jo-" Myra leaped over the table, this time actually drawing a dagger and jamming it inside the wooden pole, cutting off some strings of hair, barely missing his skin.
     "I said SHUT UP!" Ben froze for a moment with closed eyes. But when he realized the knife hadn't cut him he opened them again. His brown eyes stared right into Myra's bright green ones. She was only inches away from him, a mixture of pain and rage was visible in them.
     "I know it hurts," Ben said in a calmer, more gentle voice. "But they really do care about you."
     "They don't care about me," Myra growled. "They left me."
     "They left because of me. It was my program that got them to leave. That was not their fault."
     "You think I don't know that?" Myra bit at him. "It was you, who took them. But it was them who turned their backs on me. They said they would come free us, but they never did. Six days is what they said, but guess what? It's been six months and I'm still stuck in this damned prison, while they are enjoying their perfect little lives." Taking a deep breath, Myra stepped away from Ben, continuing in a slightly calmer voice with her back turned to the King. "That day, when you chose them to go but not me. Was the worst day of my life. And my life hasn't been easy for even a second." Myra took the chair from the ground and jammed it back on it's four legs before sitting down. Lunch noticed his companion's distress and pressed his head against her cheek. Myra started to pet the animal with two fingers.
     "I never thought of it like that before." Ben's soft voice broke the silence. "That I could've hurt the people I didn't pick."
     Myra rolled her eyes. "Auradon people are so naive." She mumbled only loud enough for Lunch to hear.
     "My plan was to start with four kids and bring more people over." Myra still didn't look up, but this time she did speak loud enough for Ben to hear her words.
     "Mmhm, and how's that working out for ya?"
     Ben didn't look up, to ashamed to look Myra in her eyes. "I guess I was so busy being king..."
     A mocking laugh escaped Myra's lips. "So busy being king for the Sugar Kingdom that you forget you also have us to look after." This time Ben did look up at Myra, who's attention still was with her rat. "Or did you forget we are your subjects too?" Without waiting for a response she continued. "Of course you did. Nobody cares about us. We're just your prisoners. Locked away. Can't care about the things you can't see."
     "Myra, I'm sorry. I truly am. And despite what you might think, I do care-"
     "Don't start." The girl interrupted him with a tired sigh. "It's too late now anyway. You made your choice, just like your father did and now it will be your downfall." Having had enough of it, Myra walked out of the room- not without reclaiming her dagger from the pole- locking the door behind her before she sat down on the edge of the boat, staring out over the sea. Auradon's castle visible as a dot at the horizon. 

🐾●°●🐭●°●🐾