Truce

"You don't have to come," Shade said, "if you don't want to. It's a long run out there. Whoever it is, they are moving fast. They will probably meet us halfway."

"Just one?" Neira asked, hurrying after him. "That's all you can sense?"

Shade nodded, not bothering to look back at her. "They are here for a reason and heading directly into my territory." He was moving towards the door, hand already turning the nob.

"I'll come," Neira said.

Shade paused for a moment, his hand on the nob, and cast her a glance over his shoulder. His black eyes watching her face, tracking her emotions. He nodded once. 

The others were waiting outside by the tree line as Neira quickly stripped her clothes and shifted before padding out onto the deck behind Shade.

"River," Shade said, "you're with me." His eyes landed on Kesler once and nodded before he too began to shift. 

The deck shuddered under her paws, the boards shuddering with the force of his shift. Gone was the golden skin and blonde hair. Bones cracked and ebony fur burst forward. Neira watched, fear leaking into her bones without her consent. She took a step back, the movement automatic. He turned to look at her as he scented her fear and Neira watched as black eyes faded into white hollow pieces of snow. 

Vacant eyes saw nothing, but his long pointed ears flicked. He padded off the deck and took off at a run into the woods as good as any seeing wolf.

Neira swallowed and took off after him, River taking up the rear. Neira tried not to think about it as she caught up to the black wolf. Tried not to notice how River tracked behind her, how he was watching the rear. Watching the lone females back.

They ran for hours and hours before Shade's stride finally slowed. His breathing wasn't even labored. She stood at his side panting, a pace or two behind as River covered her exposed edge.

Shade's massive dark head tilted, the gold flecks on his face catching in the dim light of the forest. His nose went up, angled at the sky as a low howl ripped from his throat. Neira visibly shuddered, the sound reverberating off her body like a drum beat. It was eerie, cold, a dangerous noise.

She was still shaking when Shade then began to shift back, dirty jeans appearing from the pack River had carried in his jowls. Neira tried not to watch as his eyes went from empty white to the swallowing black once again.

A figure emerged from the trees a backpack slung over a narrow shoulder. Neira's nose twitched with familiarity as Sada's eyes landed on her own.

"Sada," Shade said with a soft smile. "I was hoping it was you."

Neira balked at him. 

The whole of Judd's pack had fury in their eyes whenever Shade's name was spoken. She thought back, to the time she spent with those wolves. What was she missing?

"Hey Shade," Sada said, with a soft smile. There was no horror in her gaze, no fear, no anger. Just a smile for an old friend. "Hi Neira," Sada said, looking at her. "I wondered if you would be here."

Neira let out a yip in her direction. She took a step towards her, her ears back in both excitement and sadness at the sight of her friend. Her tail wagged as Sada looked over her dull coat and thin legs.

"Winter was hard on you," Sada said, and Neira's head dropped. How pathetic she must look. Thin. Dull. Hollow. "How long has she been here?" Sada asked, turning her attention back to Shade.

"Not long," he said, glancing in Neira's direction. 

Neira wanted to shift, to pull Sada into her arms and apologize. But she couldn't, not with the tattoo on display. Not again. She wouldn't risk it.