The Great Escape

Buttoning up a white ruffled shirt, the prince takes a deep breath to calm his racing heart. He grabs another of the same garment from his dresser and stuffs it into a leather bag. So far, he had packed his silver jewelry and a single outfit. There was no time to worry about eating in his future.

He slips on a pair of riding boots, being his only shoes fit for running. Snagging a long silk ribbon from his desk, Zerreus swiftly ties his hair up in a loose ponytail to keep it from his eyes.

He digs through his dresser pulling out a long black coat. Slipping his arms into the sleeves, he feels its weight press against the unhealed gashes on his back. He hisses and buttons it up hastily.

After fumbling with the many belt-like latches on the coat, he ties a black shirt around his head, leaving only his eyes exposed.

The prince swings his bag over his shoulders, letting it hang across him. He takes one last look around, taking in all his memories in one long breath.

Zerreus remembers all the fun he used to have talking to his little brother through the door, purple eye peeked through the crack, a white shining grin under it. They would talk until guards dragged him off to his quarters.

Loneliness sinks in on the princes heart, remembering the day he watched the boy die. Blurry images fill his vision.

---

Standing by his father's side, a small blue boy looks at the floor. A taloned finger hooks under his jaw, pulling up his gaze.

"You will watch," growls an annoyed voice.

"Yes, father. I apologize for letting my gaze wander."

"Do not let it happen again."

Striding with confidence only he could possess, the king moves to the side of his other son. He brushes a lock of silver hair off the boy's eye before picking him up by the throat.

Choking and gasping, the poor soul grasps at his father's hand as his brother watches helplessly. Taking blow after blow, kick after kick, the king remains still, watching his son thrash under his grasp.

After what seems like hours of holding his breath, Zerreus finally snaps out of the memory.

---

Tears fill the princes eyes and he sobs, his body convulsing for a moment. "I miss you," he chokes out. "I'm sorry." Determined to escape, Zerreus wipes his eyes on the already tear ridden shirt on his face.

It was time.

He strides to his window, tearing back the curtains. Thick bars line the space in columns. Slamming his fist against the steel he glances around his room for a tool to pry them open.

How could I have forgotten the bars, panics the prince.

He rushes over to his bed and breaks off part of the iron frame. The frame groans in pain as he tears it apart. Finally, the metal gives in to the strain, snapping loudly. Shoving the torn off piece between the bars, he violently pushes and pulls to bend them in a round shape.

The prince thrusts his head through the widened space and looks down the castle wall. Far, far below him is the ground. Zerreus brings his head back inside, contemplating a way to safely reach the dead grass below.

Out of time and finding nothing, he decides he'll have to rely on his climbing ability. He checks over his outfit, making sure everything is secure, before slipping his legs through the opening he created.

Finding footholds in the black bricks and slipling his torso through the bars, the prince begins his descent. Clawed fingers grip moist brick as he struggles to the ground.