SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
—dumb red giant

🗡🗡🗡

—DURING the long trek down the tunnel, Judith managed to shove the empousa ( apparently named Kelli ) off of her, effectively giving herself two long gashes along her neck and collarbone. The girl promised that if there was ever an opportunity, she would be the one to slice her apart, starting with her hideous donkey leg.

They ended up reaching the end of the tunnel, a pair of grandiose bronze doors towering above them at about 15 feet. Judith, at the front of the group — as far away from Kelli as possible — could hear the cheering from inside.

"Oh, yessssss," hissed one of the dracaenae. "You'll be very popular with our hossssst."

"I'm sure," Judith muttered to herself sarcastically.

"Who's your host?" Percy asked.

The sound that came out of her didn't resemble a laugh at all, but Judith knew that was what she was doing. "Oh, you'll sssssee. You'll get along furiousssly. He'ssss your brother, after all."

"My what?" Percy was gobsmacked.

Their minds all latched onto the thought of Tyson, but that made no sense. Excluding the Cyclops, Percy had very few beings to call brother.

The giant pushed past the demigods and Rachel and opened the doors. He picked up Annabeth by her shirt and said, "You stay here."

Kelli smirked and let her talons claw at Judith's bicep as she stepped near, only tightening when she struggled to step away. The daughter of Ares clenched her free arm's fist, ready to take a mighty swing at her stupid face, but Percy's hand enclosed around her wrist. He shook his head — not yet — and she scoffed at him. What was the promise he'd made her?

'I promise I will never stop you from monster slaying again, no matter the odds.'

What a bold-faced liar.

Kelli laughed, gesturing for her two dracaenae buddies to hold onto a petrified Rachel. "Go on, Percy. Entertain us. We'll wait here with your friends to make sure you behave."

Percy looked at all of them, determined. "I'm sorry. I'll get you out of this."

Judith huffed. "Don't do anything stupid," she said, still miffed that he'd gone back on his promise.

"When have I ever?" He asked seriously, but the growing nervous smile on his face proved he knew exactly how prone to trouble he was. "I'll do my best."

The Laistrygonian holding Annabeth jabbed a javelin at his back to get him moving and Percy opened the bronze doors to reveal an arena. The muffled cheers were now at full blast as monsters of every type cheered on a fight down below. Judith was eager to see what was going on as well, but Kelli was relentless in her grip. They were on the ground level, leading the daughter of Ares to figure out that Percy would be next on the bracket of contenders.

Judith was able to see something hung up on the far wall from them and nudged Percy's leg with her foot. He glanced over his shoulder and she jerked her head at the green banner that proudly displayed the Trident of Poseidon. She saw his shoulders tense for a moment. Looking at it closer, she noticed who sat below it as well.