Chapter 2 - The Problem

Demon law didn't apply to humans since it was intended for demons living in the mortal realm. Sure, a demon could opt to live in hell but....Well it's hell. Who would want to live there?

Part of those laws included marriage regulations. Before, demons would fight for their mates, but the humans got frightened when powerful demons clashed heads, so that law was rewritten to where the higher ranking demon was automatically made the head of the household if they had one or more spouses. When it came to courting, the higher ranked demon would have first dibs on a mate that someone else was after so long as their ideal mate wasn't already married. 

Technically speaking, this law never put into consideration what would happen if the stronger demon was tricked into marrying someone who was already married. This was unheard of, but there was a defacto clause which stated that if one mate went rogue and wanted to have another weaker partner, then the head of the household would have claim to that other partner as well, but only if the other partner was lower ranked.

Ricky began shaking his head, unable to understand what was really happening around him. This was crazy! He had been living a bachelor's life these past seven years and now he had not one, but two husbands??! One of which was very unwanted.

Taking a few breaths, he sat down on the adjacent couch and stared at the two warily. "Married?"

"I didn't know either, if that makes you feel any better." Damon explained. It didn't. "As a matter of fact, the only thing I knew about you until the other day was that you were his ex." He then glowered down at Chris unhappily, "Had I known Chris had a lover here in the states, I...Well things wouldn't have happened the way they did."

"Wait...You didn't know he was cheating?" Ricky asked. Damon turned to him abruptly, causing the lower ranked demon to scoot away ever so slightly. 

He may be pissed at Chris, but his instincts were screaming at him to avoid angering this monster of a demon.

Chris gave a halfhearted laugh, trying to lighten the mood. "He's not gonna bite you."

"Oh it ain't the teeth I'm worried about on this one." Ricky eyed the man's bulging muscles, imagining how easily this guy could break him in half.

Damon sighed wearily. "Look, this is a lot to take in, I know. I had just gotten the news of this the other day. As a matter of fact, I probably would never have found out had we not run into you at the shop."

"Wait." Ricky stood suddenly, his anger getting the better of him. "You're saying Chris kept our marriage a secret from you this whole time?!"

"Ricky I didn't mean to! It's just.... My parents convinced me it'd be better for you if I didn't mention it. I didn't...I just..." Chris floundered as he tried to find the words. "I'm just glad you didn't leave me."

"GLAD I DIDN'T LEAVE YOU?!" Ricky exploded. "DIDN'T MEAN TO? What? Did you trip and fall on his dick?"

"Ricky, please I didn't-"

"Enough! I'm leaving!" Unable to take anymore of this, he stormed out of the hotel room and stood in the hallway, realizing his mistake. Turning beet red, he reentered his hotel room and held open the door. "This is my room, get out." He utterly refused to make eye contact with either of them as they passed.

Damon paused in the hallway. "We need to talk about this more. Are you free tomorrow?"

"I don't know. Just...Leave!" And he slammed the door behind them. He hovered with his hand still on the knob, listening as their footsteps faded down the hallway before he turned towards his bedroom and dove right into the pillows. He screamed at the top of his lungs, his face thoroughly smashed into the cushions to muffle the sound.