Chapter 10

Here we go, Mona thought to herself as she shot through the sewers and into Octo Canyon.

Soon, she resurfaced in the barren island, which was now covered in a very blinding purple. It was a bit of a pain to stumble through 'foreign' ink, but Mona managed to reach the Cabin without much hassle (or grace). It wasn't much of a Cabin anymore; all that remained were some scattered pieces of broken wood and a coated cereal box.

"Cheshire?" Mona tried. No response.

"Three?" Still nothing.

The silence was unnerving. Even the bland purple coating everything was a bit eerie. She was almost relieved when Jake popped up behind her.

"Wow. This place looks like a fresh battlefield." he said in awe.

"That's because it is a battlefield. Do you have a brain in there?"

He ignored the sarcastic jab. "Where are the other Agents?"

"I don't have any clue, except for the wreckage of Cuttlefish Cabin."

"Are you saying that they-"

"It's impossible. Cheshire, at least, would survive. And you said yourself Three swapped her ink color in time."

"Well, they can't have gone far."

"True. I'll check the cabin wreckage."

"And I'll check the kettles for any recent usage."

The duo separated in search of clues to the whereabouts of the other Agents. Mona moved shards of wood and glass away and spotted a glimpse of brown fabric. A hat? Scraping wood and other wreckage away, she found it was, indeed, a Special Forces Beret.

"Hey, hands off my spoils of war."

Mona looked up, unsurprised to see Lyze standing there, arms crossed. "Knew it."

"And before you ask," the Octoling continued, "yes, Three's here too." He looked toward a pile of rubble. "Coast is clear. Come on out, Three." A silhouette quickly materialized from underneath a pile of debris. In no time, a slightly disgruntled-looking Three, covered in dust and rubble, stood there.

Thank cod, Mona thought.

"Phantom! Come loo-" Jake started.

"Hey, Jake." Lyze said.

"Oh. You guys aren't dead. That's good."

"Yeah, 'that's good'."

"Anyway, we might have a problem."

"What now?"

"The kettle is steaming. Someone or something is coming."

Lyze frowned. "That is a problem."

"You think? Anything could come from there! Octolings, Inklings, Kensa's army ..."

"He has a point," Mona said, interrupting. "We don't know the scale or power of whatever is coming. I say we leave as quickly as possible."

Cod, I'm such a coward, Mona thought, already prepping herself for Buia's lecture.

"I say we try and negotiate with them, maybe sway their mindsets. Change them to our side."

"Not worth the risk," Three said. "The odds aren't in our favor. If we fail, we die."

"I think the odds are in our favor, actually. Remember why Mona declined the Agent gear? 'Looks are everything' and all that? I'll try to reason with them with Mona by my side."