Chapter 18

Calvin smiled, a leisurely yet malicious look on his face. "Ah, Harris. I see you have betrayed your kind. Out of all my employees, I certainly didn't expect you to be the weakest one. My own son..."

Harris' eyes narrowed. "I'm no son of yours, Calvin," he snarled, spitting venom at the Kensa president.

Jake's eyes darted back and forth between the two, like he was watching an extremely fast tennis match. "Wait... Harris, you're Calvin Irvel's-"

"Kid, yeah, but only in blood. I don't agree with any of his ideals," the Inkling said, glowering at his father. "And I'm nowhere near as twisted as he is."

"Twisted? I'm only profiting off of a popular sport," Irvel responded, that horribly calm smirk still plastered on his face.

A purple octopus jumped from the crowd to Mona's side. Lyze! "Didn't you hear anything Mona said, Irvel?!" he yelled. "Turf War is more than a sport! It keeps everyone from losing hope! You're taking away their beacon of light! The only thing that keeps them afloat!"

"Save your breath, Octoling," Calvin shook his head, seemingly disappointed. "You just don't get it, do you? Turf War, when dealt with correctly, can make great deals of money. It is a childish sport, nothing more. I'm shaking everyone away from it, prying their fingers off one by one, because they all need to grow up." He turned to address the crowd. "It's time for you all to accept that there are other, healthier forms of entertainment and better ways to earn a living. You all are addicted to Turf War; it's time to let go of that addiction.

"My employees will splat you as many times as they need to in order to get the message across. You are not in control. If you want your precious Turf Wars, you need to follow our rules. Go on, try to resist. I have thousands of grunts waiting at HQ to be deployed."

A Kensa executive pushed to the front of the crowd. It was A.J. "But, sir, I don't want to k-kill anyone. Most of these civilians aren't even hooked up to SPAWN Pads. If we splat them, they'll j-just-"

"Die? Well, then, that's their fault isn't it, for resisting? Where have you been this whole battle, hiding in the back alley? And, A.J., this is your last chance to make up for your failed attempts to neutralize Cheshire. Don't disappoint me again."

A.J. seemed to have a wordless struggle inside his head. Finally, his face turned resolute, and he shook his head. "No. I won't do it."

Calvin Irvel looked at the hybrid. Then he shook his head - in pity, it seemed. "I'm sorry, A.J. It didn't have to be this way. But you have failed me for the last time."

A.J.'s face suddenly turned fearful. "W-what do you m-"

Irvel activated an earpiece with two fingers. "Hello? Yes, this is Calvin Irvel, president of the Kensa Corporation. I need you to deactivate Personal SPAWN Pad #927, please. Yes, that's the one. Yes, I'm sure. Thank you."

"N-no, please..." A.J. begged, tears starting to stream down his face.

"Irvel's face morphed into pure anger. "Don't you dare beg for mercy, hybrid freak!" He hissed, kicking A.J. in the stomach. "You brought this upon yourself! You asked for this! I am only delivering a fair punishment for traitors like you!" He leveled his Charger, preparing to send A.J. to his grave, once and for all. He fired...

... And hit nothing. Where A.J. had stood a second ago, there was now only air.

He glared at Luna, who had whisked A.J. away at the last second. The pair now stood at the base of Deca Tower. "You," he spat.

"Yes, me," The blind Inktoling responded calmly. "If I had known how little you cared about us, I would have left Kensa sooner." She raised her voice, addressing the rest of Kensa. "Do you all really want to support this sorry excuse of a president? Do you stand behind this soulless monster who would kill you without a second thought if you so much as breathed the wrong way?"

The employees murmured among themselves, clearly unsettled by Calvin's actions.

"Stand with us," Luna continued. "Leave Irvel to rot. He deserves it. Who's next in line for leadership?"

Harris raised his hand. "If this is a monarchy, I am."

"Alright, then. All in favor of Harris Irvel stepping up as the leader of Kensa, raise your hand."

"Don't," Calvin warned, "If you dare, I'll deactivate all your SPAWN Pads, and kill you all, one by one!"

"No, you won't," Harris whipped back, "because as soon as I gain control, I'll override your orders, and as the leading official, your boys will have to listen to me."

"Gah!" Calvin fired his Charger again, this time at Harris. Again, Harris blocked it with his Brella. "Ignorant child! Listen to your father!"

"I told you. I'm no son of yours." Harris raised his voice. "Everyone, I promise to treat you fairly, as equals, if you side with me. I am in no way better than you, so I will not pretend that I am, like Mr. Irvel here. I won't push you around. If you want the respect you deserve, stand with me."

Without hesitation, every single Kensa employee parted from the crowd and stood together under the Deca Tower, scowling at Calvin Irvel.

The president sputtered. "W-wha... treachery! Betrayal! Madness!"

Harris gave his father a mock bow. "Sorry, sir, but the vote was unanimous. You are hereby relieved of your duty as the president of the Kensa Corporation." He cupped his hands together. "Security? The bad guy's isolated. Now would be a good time to pop in and take him away. Oh, also, he can't sue you. His money's mine now."

As if they were waiting on the sidelines the entire time, eight policesquids rushed onto the scene and cuffed Calvin. "Don't try to morph, buddy," one warned as they led him away, "or you're in for a very painful treat." The entire Square watched in silence as the Kensa president was dragged off to prison, cursing and shouting.

A few moments passed.

Harris clapped his hands, making everyone jump. "Right, then. First order of business: I, Harris Irvel, president of Kensa Co., remove the monetization of Turf Wars known as the Kensa Control, and relinquish ownership of Turf Wars to Squidforce."

Everyone clapped. Some even threw their weapons in the air, showering the sky with Rollers, Chargers, Sloshers, and a whole lot of color.

Mona stared in amazement at the scene before her. She had done it! She had really done it! The Kensa Control was no more, all thanks to her and her friends. Her goal was met. And her struggle was over. Buia was no longer torturing her. She was free, free from the darkness inside her.

Never had the day looked so beautiful.