10 ➳ i don't want to forget

This chapter is dedicated to geldinh8 & euphoricjenzie for their lovely comments last chapter <3 Y'all are the best xo

KENZIE ZIEGLER

I was nervous. Extremely nervous. Like, that sort of feeling where you have butterflies and your thoughts are racing and you can't sit still and you have shallow breathing. That kind of nervous.

I don't know why this date was making me so nervous– I never really used to care when Maddie tried to get me hitched. I supposed, that this time, the stakes were higher. I'd told her that this would be my last effort, so I'd gone full out.

Maddie took me shopping and insisted on buying me the most expensive, yet most beautiful, dress from the store. It had a deep, elegant, detailed neckline that delved right down, but not so far down that it was scandalous. The waist cinched in, before flaring out into ruffles that were detailed with a floral pattern. My gaze was wistful when I saw it, knowing my bank account balance would be extremely unhealthy afterwards, but Maddie begged me to try it on, and from there, she was sold. The dress made me feel like a princess. A bright, radiant, graceful princess. And better yet, I just felt like I could meet the love of my life in it.

I kept looking at myself sideways in the mirror, being overly critical; looking for a piece of hair that wasn't curled right, making sure my eye shadow was blended to perfection, and my heels were tied at the same place on my ankle. I'd gotten ready at least an hour early, in nervous anticipation that I would be hurrying out the door. I wasn't, clearly. To pass the time, I gathered my purse, phone, wallet and keys on the bench and made myself some tea. I went and sat on my balcony, drinking and watching the city below me, finally at peace.

When it was time to leave, I snapped a quick selfie and picture of me in my dress, sending it to Maddie. I was on strict instructions to give her updates. She said it was in return for the dress, but I said she was just being nosy. We'd laughed at each other, and I promised I would. She'd squeezed my hand with reassurance, and I'd been glad. She always reminded me that there was nothing to be worried about. I held onto that as I drove to the restaurant I'd agreed to meet my date at.

˚✧₊⁎༄

My heart seemed to thump louder than my heels as I walked up the concrete steps to the restaurant, and the elevator ride seemed much longer than usual. I took deep breaths, readying myself to be confident and polite, willing the shakes away.

Once in the foyer, I looked around in admiration of this mans taste. The place really was beautiful; it had shining marble floors and white walls, decorated here and there with potted plants and flowers that were bursting with colour. I was met by a friendly waitress, who complimented my dress (it made me blush), and let into the main restaurant– which to my surprise was on the top floor, and it was a beautiful open aired garden. The place was extremely busy, full of the hustle and bustle that comes with a high-end restaurant– so much so that I couldn't spot who I was supposed to be meeting.

My waitress turned to me with an understanding smile. "Can't spot your table?"

I laughed. "I'm on a blind date, actually. Looking for a table for two. I don't know if he's here, and I have no clue what he looks like."

The girl laughed along with me. Her hair was long, dark, and her nametag read the name Dylan. The name suited her. "That's fine." She said. "I'll just take you over to the counter and I'll see which tables are booked out tonight. This place wraps around the side there too– it's massive– I wouldn't want you to be walking around, lost."