Chapter 4

Clad in a silky royal blue traditional attire comprising a heavy skirt as well as a blouse stitched with golden thread and embellished with precious stones, the courageous queen Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore graced her presence in the opulent royal court of Vijaygarh. Aparajita had been the integral part of the court since five years but today she had graced the royal court as the queen with complete authority for the first time.

Her eyes were dark, lifeless, and devoid of emotions though her face screamed elegance, royalty and authority. Her pretty face had dark circles under her eyes because of the lack of sleep previous night. Folding her hands out of respect in front of the golden idol of Goddess Durga in the royal court, Aparajita bowed down in front of the goddess seeking the blessings for the well-being of her kingdom. The new queen took off her sword from the scabbard swirling it in the air just to slit the edge of her right thumb. She offered the red colored liquid that dripped from her thumb to the idol of the goddess just like her father following the ancestral ritual of the renowned Rathore dynasty. Offering her blood to the idol, she wished for the well-being and prosperity of her kingdom.

The ministers in the court bowed their heads in her respect and hailed shouts of joy for her longevity as she sat on the precious throne of her kingdom. It is rightly said, with position comes responsibility and the young queen was aware of her responsibilities as she ascended to the ancestral throne.

"Your highness, the village of Surajpur cannot pay the taxes this year. The helpless farmers suffered huge loss due to lack of rains. Their crops are completely damaged." The old, loyal minister, Dharmendra Singh informed the Queen about the pleas of the poor farmers of Surajpur.

Aparajita was well-aware of her kingdom. She had travelled to every village and city of her prosperous estate and she was well-versed with the topography and terrain of her kingdom. She realized that Surajpur was a landlocked village that was totally dependent on the monsoon rains for good crops. Her heart bled as she realized the misery and helplessness of the poor farmers.

"I order to waive the taxes of Surajpur this time. The already miserable farmers of Surajpur are not required to pay the revenue for now. Make sure no family dies of hunger during this crucial time at Surajpur." Aparajita announced in the court and the loyal ministers supported her. The sight of Aparajita getting appreciation and respect in the court boiled the blood of Ajeet Singh Rathore as well as his son Vikrant.

"Respected Minister Dharmendra Singh, I request you to plan the construction of the canal in Surajpur." The Queen Aparajita Singh Rathore announced as the old minister nodded while the members of the Royal Court beamed in pride and reverence towards the new queen. Aparajita had suggested the construction of canal earlier too but she clearly remembered that her guileful uncle had manipulated the ministers and her father to prevent the construction of canal. Now that she was in power, she wanted to make sure that farmers of Surajpur get fair share of their hardwork via necessary irrigation facilities.

"The water from river Yamuna flowing through Ramnagar can be diverted into Surajpur. It would not be difficult as both of the villages are close to each other." Aparajita said further explaining the plan of action. Everyone in the court were stunned at her intelligence. Everyone was assured that Vijaygarh would definitely touch new heights in the leadership of the new queen.

Ajeet Singh Rathore was burning in anger, shame and disgust. He hated the growing popularity of Aparajita. Blinded by greed, he chuckled as he commented, "Will you be emptying the contingency funds of the kingdom for those filthy people of Surajpur who act as cry babies almost every year, queen?".

Everyone in the royal court was shocked at the audacity of the queen's uncle. The tone of mockery was never acceptable in the court but today everyone observed how queen's legitimate decision was mocked on her very first day.

Queen was annoyed beyond limits at her insult. She closed her eyes to control her anger before giving her reaction. "Those cry babies are not filthy. They cry not because they want, but because they suffer". Her voice had calmness, but authority. She screamed with anger in her eyes, "I am the Queen and I know how to serve my people".

"You will ruin the hard work of our ancestors. You don't deserve this throne." Ajeet Singh Rathore muttered in a not so low voice as most of the ministers could hear that. People were dumbstruck at his audacity to disrespect the ruler of the estate.

"I am well-aware of what I deserve", the queen said in a loud voice as she stood up from the throne and shouted, "But I know you don't deserve to stay in this court, this fort and this kingdom; Ajeet Singh Rathore."

Everyone was waiting for the queen's decision while on the other hand, Aparajita knew that if she does not react at her uncle's audacity today anyone in the court could insult her the next day. She also knew that her uncle was a cunning scoundrel who had manipulated her father to maintain good reputation in the court. Now that her father had stepped down from the throne, she had power to make right decisions.

"I banish you, your son and your wife from the lands of Vijaygarh; Ajeet Singh Rathore for disrespecting the ruler of this throne", Aparajita announced. The fear was visible in the eyes of everyone present in the court.

"No.. You can't.... You can't do this", her old cunning uncle stuttered trying to manipulate her niece.

Aparajita gestured her uncle to stop as she raised her hand in the air.

"I didn't mean it in this way, child", Ajeet Singh Rathore pleaded the queen as he folded his hands in front of her bowing his head down.

"Royal guards, make sure these people are not seen anywhere near the lands of Vijaygarh", Aparajita Singh Rathore announced as she glared at her cunning uncle and her scoundrel cousin. She sat on her throne with authority as her uncle and his son were taken away from the court.

Announcing that the royal court stood adjourned for the day, the queen Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore left the royal court. The loyal ministers who favored the queen's decision applauded her for her strong and much-needed decision while some of the ministers who wanted Vikrant Singh Rathore to be the king were afraid of the queen and her authoritative decision.

❤❤❤

Hi everyone
I am back with the new chapter! 😊
Hopefully you will like it.💖💖
Kindly share your views and feedback. Please shower your love on this story with your valuable votes and precious comments. 😘😘
Please stay safe and take care against COVID-19. 🙏🙏
#stayathomeandsavelives
Love you all
💜