Chapter eight | Sauna test

"Do you copy?"

Valerie groaned and rolled closer to Max so that they were facing each other and snuggled up placing her face in her neck. The sound of the radio beeping from somewhere on the floor caused Max's eyes to open slowly.

"this is a code red!" Lucas yelled "I repeat, this is a code red. Max do you copy?"

Max sighed in frustration and leaned over the side of the bed picking up the walkie talkie causing Valerie's arms to slip from around her. "shut up," she hissed and slammed the antenna down switching it off and then slide back into bed while Valerie returned her arms around the red heads waist.

The next few minutes were quiet and peaceful and the three girls drifted back off to sleep, when the ringing of the phone startled them awake. Muttering curses under her breath Valerie flung off the blanket and stomped to the phone and held it up to her ear "for the love of God, what? we're sleeping, fuck off!"

"Valerie this is Mike, do not hang up!" Valerie rolled her eyes but listened closely "something happened, something bad. Our very lives could be at stake."

"the fuck are you talking about?"

"just come over to my house, we'll explain everything., hurry," he hung up the phone before Valerie could ask any questions.

"what did he say?" Valerie turned back towards the bed and saw both girls sitting up looking very confused

"we have to go like right now!" she rushed and gathered her things as the girls did the same.

******

The three girls were dragged inside the house and ushered into the basement. They all gathered around Will and gave him their undivided attention.

"I didn't think it was anything at first," he told them "I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead,"

"the power went out that night too," Mike said looking around the room

"and then I felt it again near the Nelson farm the next day, then again yesterday outside Castle Byers."

"what does it feel like?" Max asked as Valerie spotted closer their hands gripping each others

"it's almost like, you know when you drop on a rollercoaster?"

"sure."

"yeah."

"duh."

Eleven shook her head "no."

"it's like everything inside you're body is just sinking all at once, but this is worse," Will trailed off and began to fiddle with his hands.

The party members all leaned closer to Will waiting for him to explain the horrible feeling. "Your body it goes cold and you can't breath, I felt it before whenever he was close."

"Whenever who was close?" Max asked him still gripping onto Valerie's hand

"The mind flayer."