𝟏𝟖

Dawn's Pov

When David entered back into the room, I was still awake and sitting by the edge of the bed as I stared at the blank sky, slightly pressing the frozen bag against my still aching cheeks.

I didn't think a slap could hurt as much as it did. Or was it that I exaggerated the pain? I had never been struck on the face before. Not even by my mother.

I groaned a little when I pulled the ice away from my face. I should have anticipated that Amanda would react this way. Certainly, anyone would after being called desperate.

The second David crossed the room to sit gently by my side, I turned to him, my brows furrowing with concern. "How did it go?"

"I told her what needed to be said." He answered stiffly with his hand coming to touch my face. "Does it still hurt badly?"

I closed my eyes for a moment and relished in his warmth. "It doesn't."

"God, I'm sorry you had to go through this." His thumb brushed my cheek gingerly. "After the wedding, we're leaving okay?"

My eyes met his and the crease in my brows deepened. "David, you really don't have to leave because of me."

"I do." He persisted. "I won't be able to forgive myself if anything like this happens again and It's a decision I've made so don't try to change my mind."

I bit my lip. "But you don't have to be hard on her, it was my fault. I gave your dad the orchids and I said pretty mean things to her and if I hadn't pushed her so much she wouldn't have snapped or—"

"Stop." He withdrew his hand from my cheek and held my shoulder. "Just stop trying to feel for her and focus on yourself. I may have hurt her pride with my words but she hurt you, physically and yes, she's my mother and I'll treat her how I see fit." He let my shoulders go and got up from the bed.

"Where are you going this time?"

He stood in front of me and leaned over to kiss my temple. "I need another shower. Try to get some sleep. I love you."

He didn't wait for my reply before turning to stalk towards the bathroom. I could tell he was annoyed, more at himself than he was at the situation. I didn't blame him.

I heaved out a heavy sigh and replied. "I love you too...David." Even though he'd already disappeared behind the door.

***

Amanda wasn't at the wedding the next day and I knew this because I'd spent most of my day searching for her but she'd gone off the grid.

After David told me that we are going to be leaving, I wanted to talk to her and try to clear the air between us one last time because as much as I wanted to be out of here myself, I didn't think I'd be able to leave seeing David fighting with her especially when I knew they both loved each other dearly.

Albeit, after I'd searched for a while and still couldn't find her, I decided to relax in the wedding atmosphere.

After the vows were shared and rings exchanged at the holy altar of St. Gorge's cathedral, the reception commenced at the back of the estate.

We had a little cocktail hour where everyone mingled-some dancing to the soft tongue-twisting music and others stuffing their mouths with watery native delicacies.