Tip #2: Building Romance

Author: avadel

Topic: Writing Tips

Building romance can be a hard thing to do

Building romance can be a hard thing to do. The key is tension. If there is no tension, then even if the characters 'fall in love,' it won't feel like anything really happened.

Tension with Obstacles

To create tension, you have to create obstacles. That's why there are a lot of I-hate-you, then I-love-you types of stories, as well as star-crossed lovers. Both of those are okay as long as they're done well, but there are also other ways to build tension. The standard Hallmark recipe is to have two characters fall in love and then blow up over some huge misunderstanding (usually about hugging a sibling when the other character thinks it's a love interest). But we believe you can do more than stoop to clichés. A better way to create obstacles might be to let the overarching plot of the book or some internal conflict of the character create tension in the relationship. Then solving the goals of one can solve the goals of another, which will not only help you keep from falling into overdone tropes, but can also help all the elements of your story tie together nicely.

Tension With Stakes

Another factor to creating tension is establishing the stakes. In any situation, no matter if its romance, fantasy, or a genre you made up yourself, your characters need to have something important to gain or lose. So, for a romance to feel  gripping, you have to create a deep connection between the characters. 

Creating A Connection

To do this, the audience needs to see the couple-to-be interact. Little things (like conversations) are important. Don't rush things unless you're trying to create a faux-romance feel. If necessary, you can make things feel not rushed just by skipping over time. For example, they were friends, he moves away for a month that you don't really have to go over, she misses him unexpectedly, and then he comes back: let the romance begin. Or you can even just indicate that life continues on normally for a while. That makes it feel less like insta-love.

Some concrete elements that can really help are inside jokes or little things only those two characters know. It helps create a feeling of closeness, and there's something special about bringing up a small detail from earlier in the story. Also, sharing secrets creates intimacy and really enhances a romantic air.

Miscellaneous Tips

Hero of the Hour:   This isn't true all the time, but most girls like being saved and most boys like saving girls. That doesn't mean your female MC has to be helpless by any means; however, giving the guy at least one scene where he protects/saves/helps her can create a feeling of closeness. That could be anything from him rescuing her from an awkward social situation to jumping in front of a bullet for her.

Touching Hands:   Most of all, in any relationship, we suggest trying to focus more on their characters and how they interact with each other rather than the physical side of the romance. The first kiss is important. Don't waste it too early on, and don't water it down by having them kiss a million times more. The further you move on in the physical progression of their relationship, the less the little things (like holding her hand, sitting close to her, accidentally touching, or guiding her with his hand on the small of her back) feel like they matter. You want to keep that magic.

Alternate First Kiss?:   We watched a psychology video recently that showed that for some reason, most girls love being kissed on the forehead. It makes them feel protected and valued. It's a 'purer' gesture. You might be able to make use of that.

Keep Your Eyes Peeled:   One character paying close attention to the other helps create that feeling of closeness too (and sometimes tension). Everything from how one thinks the color of the other's eyes look, how their clothes fit on them, how they move, if they appear anxious, if some small detail about them is different than normal, etc., shows that the other character is watching and invested. This isn't to say you have to over-describe. Just have your character notice strange little things here and there that people wouldn't normally think much about. This works especially well from a male POV because males tend to focus more on the physical than girls do.

Conclusion

There are lots of different types of stories that incorporate romance, and lots of different ways to accomplish it. Hopefully these tips give you a good place to start and allow you to avoid some common pitfalls. Now, stop reading and start match-making. (;

See a tip we missed out on? Submit an article about it, or just tell us here:

Want to submit your own Tip? Comment in this book and email your entry to avadelauthors@gmail

Comment in this book and email your entry to avadelauthors@gmail.com. We'll review it, and if we think it's well-written and helpful to the Wattpad community, we'll post it! Your entry may be something you have written previously, even if it is published elsewhere. (=

Have a Request?
Comment on the first chapter with the topic you'd like to see. Your suggestion might just turn into an article!

 Your suggestion might just turn into an article!