Chapter One

I
• • •

        Deep breaths, Crystal.

I breathed in through my nose and out through my mouth, squeezing my eyes shut before opening them to look up at the building in front of me.

I took my keys out of the ignition and opened my door, stepping out of my car. The warm air blew across my face in a soft breeze. I turned my head to see my mothers car pulling in to the spot next to me. She stepped out of her car and walked over to me with a bittersweet smile.

"You're sure you have everything you need?" She confirmed in typical motherly-fashion.

"Probably not, but I can't really do anything about that now, can I?" I replied lightheartedly, referring to the fact that we were already at my dorm building. She chuckled and shrugged. After a few moments of silence we brought each other into a tight embrace. Her hair smelled of her signature vanilla shampoo.. I was gonna miss that scent.

"You better come home and visit as much as humanly possible," she said into my hair.

"Mom," I pulled away, taking her hands in mine and looking into her eyes with a serious expression. "I'm not gonna be there with you in person, but my strength is always with you. I-"

"Crystal," she cut me off and smiled genuinely, "you don't have to worry about me. I'm the mom, I should be the one worried about you."

"I know, I know," I replied, shrugging it off. "I'm just really gonna miss you."

"Oh Crystal," she brought me in for another tight hug as I heard a car pull into the space on the other side of my car. "Not nearly as much as I'm going to miss you."

I heard their car door open and close, before some footsteps made their way over to us. Still hugging my mom, I smiled to myself, knowing who it was.

"Ladies," Ashton greeted us. I could hear his smile through his lighthearted tone. My mom and I pulled apart and I noticed her wipe a tear as we both turned to face him, greeting him back simultaneously.

He immediately joined the conversation and we talked for a bit before my mom started getting ready to leave. She said bye to me with one last hug before turning to Ashton.

"You be a good boy in college," she pointed a finger at his chest and he chuckled.

"Always," he replied with a grin.

"I'm serious," she added, walking over to her car, "I don't want to hear about any funny business, mister."

"Never," he put a hand on his chest, acting appalled by the thought. I bit back my laugh. He rubbed my back as I watched my mom get in her car.

"Love you!!" She yelled out the window and animatedly waved goodbye.

"Love you, too!" I yelled back, holding onto Ashton's arm as she drove away. As soon as her car was out of sight, I turned to face him.

Looking down at me, his eyes scanned over my face as he lifted his hand and brushed a piece of hair away from my face.

"I'm worried about her," I told him honestly, looking up into his eyes, "I would never say this to her, but I don't know if I trust her all by herself."