-eighteen-

Annabelle watched as the two girls, one bigger than the other, just stood in the ring not fighting. Every time Molly would move forward to Tris, the blonde, smaller girl would move back and eventually out of the ring. Tris was scared and Anna didn't blame her. Eric had said they had to fight until one of them couldn't continue.

Annabelle had witnessed the spat between to the two Dauntless members, Eric and Four, about the new rule. After Eric walked away from Four, he looked directly towards Annabelle and caught her staring. He probably knew she heard what Tobias had said, he'd probably target her next, Annabelle thought and she really didn't want to find out.

Annabelle continued to watch the girls fight, Molly getting more and harder hits in than Tris. Eventually, knocking Tris to the ground, ending the fight.

Eric called everyone over as he showed a board with all the initiates names written on them, Anna gulped when she realised they were their rankings, and the reds were who would be cut at the end of phase one, and initiation. Annabelle's eyes scanned the names and numbers quickly finding hers in 10th place, after Molly, the girl who had just beaten up her friend. Annabelle was honestly confused, she didn't know how'd she'd gotten so high when she'd only been shooting a gun. She hadn't even fought yet.

***

Annabelle walked into the transfers dorm room hearing Al say "If they cut me, I think my parents would take me back," and Will quickly replying "No, it doesn't work like that,"

"Can we talk about something more fun? Like getting a tattoo or piercing?" Anna said as she walked closer to them, they all laughed and nodded in agreement. "We're set then, lets go!"

"Look at all these designs," Anna said admiring the beautiful artwork that covered the walls of the tattoo parlour.

"What are you thinking of getting?" Christina said, also admiring the designs.

"I'm going to get a piercing, maybe a tattoo another time, don't know where though,"

"How about your bellybutton?" Christina said, genuinely, Annabelle shook her head she'd never fancied a bellybutton piercing.

"Or your nipple?" Will butted in causing all the three girls to groan and roll their eyes at him.

"More like my nose," Annabelle replied, before waving them off to go talk to the piercings, while all the others remained looking at the tattoos, even Tris.

"Anna?" She heard as she flipped through a book full of beautiful models and their piercings. She looked up, to see Zeke whom she was introduced to earlier in the day.

"Hey Zeke, do you work here?" Anna asked, swiftly shutting the book, and turning towards her friends older brother.

"No, I'm here to see a friend," He explained, smiling at the girl, "Didn't expect to see you here, what you looking at?" He asked, opening the book she had just closed.

"A nose piercing, they're all so pretty but I think I'm gonna stay simple and get my nostril pierced." Annabelle answered and pointed to the simple stud in the nostril that she had previously looked at.

"Wow, I think that would look nice, go for it," He said, before someone called his name.

"Will do," She nodded thankful for the approval, "See you around, Zeke"

When the group had finished getting their tattoos and piercings, they all showed each other  and gushed at how cool and awesome they all looked, like they really fit into the faction they had chose. Like Annabelle had hoped it made them forget about the trauma of possibly being cut from said faction.

***

It was the middle of the night when Annabelle arose, she knew she'd have her own fight coming up soon, and wanted to be prepared for it, since it could sincerely affect her rank. She quietly made her way out of the dorms where everyone was sleeping, and towards the training room where she hoped would be empty so she could practise her punches on the bags set up all round it.

When she arrived it was dark, only the natural light from the moon shining down on the room. Annabelle knew there was no pout turning on all the lights in the gigantic room, she also knew it would probably bring attention to her, and she didn't know if she was allowed to be doing what she was or not. She decided that the moonlight was good enough, rushing over to a punching bag.

Annabelle didn't know how she'd get better if there was no one to help her, but thought anyway just to punch the helplessly, maybe that would build up her pain level, endurance and stamina. Right now, she didn't care about technique but knew she was doing it wrong when she saw all the cuts and bruising along her knuckles. She clenched her fists again, hoping to go for another round but winced at the cuts split open slightly further and began to bleed.

Annabelle sighed wiping her knuckles on her clothes and quickly bending down to grab the water bottle she had brought with her. As the brunette girl chugged from her bottle she pan around, eyes scanning the dimly lit room as it was still the middle of the night. However, what she was not expecting to see was a figure coming up to her. She gulped, she couldn't see their face, but they had a fairly strong build and their arms were crossed which Annabelle assumed meant she was in trouble.

She could've ran, she was small and fast so probably could've sprinted back to the dormitory before they mysterious figure reached her, but for some reason her body decided to remain still, and wait for the person to reach her.

As they did, Anna finally made out their face and realised it was Eric, the fierce Dauntless leader that would most likely yell at her and humiliate in training now that he was close enough to know it was her. Annabelle thought she was screwed that had would force her out of Dauntless for disobedience, even though she didn't think there were rules against what she was doing.

When Eric stood right in front of her, Annabelle remained silent, her jaw clenched and fear most likely evident in her eyes. Eric was also yet to say anything, his arms still crossed and face intimidating. It was when Eric's still lips, morphed into a smirk that Annabelle became weak at the knees, all the things he could do to her because of her being there ran though her brain, and slightly terrified her even more.

"You may be able to shoot a gun, but you sure as hell can't throw a punch, Stiff," When he spoke, he uncrossed his arms and raised his eyebrows, Annabelle honestly didn't know if what he was saying was threatening, however her instinct to retort hit her and she was no longer scared of the man stood in front of her.

"I thought I was doing a decent job," She replied, now she was the one with crossed arms. At this Eric's smirk only grew.

"Really? From where I was stood your arms were flailing like an octopus,"

"Woah, you're making jokes?" A scoff left the brunettes lips, "If you're so sure I was doing it wrong why do you help me?" She gestured to the punching bag behind her.

She hadn't actually expected him to want to help her, she thought he'd be amused to see her fail and but cut from Dauntless, but he stepped forward placing his hands on Annabelle's hips as she stood in her stance. He twisted them to the side slightly so she wasn't stood facing directly forward, he raised her arms up to her face in order to protect it, quickly tucked her thumbs in her palms and lightly pushed her foot further apart with his own.

"That looks better," He said quietly, taking his hands off of hers. Annabelle let out of a breath she didn't realise she was holding, the touch of the man in front of her sending chills down her spine. "Now throw a punch, but don't just throw your arms around, do a quick jab," He continued explaining what he thought was the best way to throw a punch.

Annabelle followed his instructions and threw a punch, he complimented her, saying it was much better, but still needed work, and that the perfect technique would come from a real fight, one she would be having later that day.