On enemy field

Ferry met Ben in the school's corridor. They haven't spoken in nearly two weeks, and he had so much to tell him. A lot had happened in such a short time: Anne, Mrs. Jones, Andrew, Thyme's leaving ... But especially May's secret. He was sure that if he told Ben, he would have found out who told her secret. He had to do this until the Spring Fling. May had to know that he was innocent and she would have forgiven him by then. Ben would have definitely found out—he was the smartest boy he'd ever met.

"Ben! Ben!" he shouted behind him, but Ben didn't stop. Ferry had to run after him. Ben was walking incredibly fast for a human. Ferry managed to reach him when he stopped near his locker.

"Ben," Ferry said between gasps, "where's the hurry?"

"I have things to do, Ferry," Ben said, searching for something in his locker. "Make it quick!"

"I need to talk to you. You have to help me. We need to find out who could've found out about May's secret. Because it surely wasn't me ..."

But Ben seemed absent-minded; even irritated by Ferry's request. He, who liked to play the detective more than anything. Now, he seemed upset even by his presence.

"I can't," he said, closing the locker's door. "I'm busy."

"Busy doing what?" Ferry wondered.

"Well ... I have to study. For some of us, school is important, you know?" he frowned, avoiding his gaze.

Ferry was speechless for a second. "But Ben, you were busy studying before. What happened? Is it because of Steph? I hear you have problems ..."

"Steph and I broke up," Ben said softly.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," said Ferry. "You looked so fit for each other."

"Actually, no," Ben put it shortly. "We should have split up a long time ago. We didn't really have that much in common ... After all, not what two people have in common keeps them together. Sometimes, the biggest differences can make two people work, complement each other, discover each other, learn from each other ..." said Ben barely breathing.

Ferry was a bit confused," Ben, you could've told me. You're my friend ... I could have listened to you."

"Maybe if you weren't so busy with Celia, you could've listened to me," Ben replied, looking him dead in the eye.

Ferry's jaw dropped, "What is Celia got to do with this?" he asked. But in his mind, things were beginning to make sense.

Speaking of the devil! Ben opened his mouth to say something when Celia appeared as if from nowhere and got between them, her bright presence making everything look pale around her.

"Elf," she said loudly, in the spoilt tone that defined her. "What would you say if you and I met tonight at my place?" she added, arranging the collar of his shirt.