Chapter 40

Somehow, amid all the disastrous things happening, working at Enigma actually had a calming effect on me

Somehow, amid all the disastrous things happening, working at Enigma actually had a calming effect on me. The loud music and neon lights prevented me from thinking about anything longer than a few moments. Tilly and I worked side by side pouring drinks for our classmates and not mentioning anything vaguely relating to the supernatural.

I was still curious about her supernatural involvement. She had said that her mother's family line were witches- not with wands and broomsticks but believe me; I asked. She explained that the magic was more natural, using ley energy to connect with nature spirits and power. She explained that while ley energy and power were within me her family could only manipulate the energy and the energy that their ancestors left behind. The wolves would contact their coven whenever they needed to enlist magical help.

Harry was sitting at the bar chatting to Tilly and neither of them seemed to be able to keep the smiles off of their faces. It was adorable and a little nauseating watching my brother fawn over her. Tilly didn't seem to mind.

"Can I have a vodka cran," A new voice said, taking my concentration away from restocking the cups. I turned and inwardly groaned. She, however, outwardly groaned. "Oh...great."

"Uh hi Rose," I greeted lamely, "I'll get right on that."

The blonde seemed as awkward as I felt. She gave me an uncomfortable half-smile and leaned against the bar. Her long hair waved perfectly down her back, make-up was flawless, and her outfit was just the right amount of fashionable. I saw what Tilly and Ben meant about her being perfect. It was hard not to notice- and I tried so hard not to notice it.

"So...you still work here?"

I nodded. "Hopefully, or else I just cleaned the bathrooms for no reason."

To my surprise, she laughed. I noticed with dismal certainty that her laugh was also perfect. An awkward silence fell over the two of us as I mixed her drink. The loud, reverberating beat of the music wasn't enough to drown out the knowledge that hung in the air between us. I slid her finished drink across the bar toward her. Rose took it but didn't move.

She cleared her throat. "I suppose the free drinks are kind of lost on Tucker now that you're dating."

I was so shocked at hearing his name come from her lips that I blanched.

"Huh?"

Her blue eyes inspected me, filled with a foreign emotion.

"Because he doesn't drink."

"Oh." I hadn't known that.

She nodded, sensing that I didn't know what to say and turned to leave.

"We're not dating," I told her, truthfully.

"You're not?"

I shook my head. Tucker and I hadn't ever talked about anything like that. A supernatural bond didn't allow for much defining of the relationship. Rose did not seem pleased or relieved with this information. I honestly wasn't sure what I expected her to look like, but I didn't expect angry.