Ch 18: Sugar Painting, His Favorite

Turn on the music before reading to feel the vibe.

**

It's the gaze again.

His eyes are dark and mysterious, with no hint of transparency. He breaks the prevalence of the gaze by tilting his head back in the neutral position, facing the rooftop.

Li Shi Zhen comments on the scenario with a shake of his head and a smile, "I'll leave you two alone. Let's go, Xiu Ying."

Xiu Ying responds to Li Shi Zhen, dumbfounded. "Ah?" She traces behind him, exiting the room and closing the door.

I stroll a step closer to the bed he is lying in. I examine his bandaged chest, pale complexion, and the bruises on his arms.

I smile and reside next to him with the calamity, for I have no knowledge whatsoever of what he had undergone. "Sir Xu, aren't you the one who's pushing your luck?"

His eyes wander in my direction, "Miss Yuan, are you using my line on me?"

I am mortified with his comment but I suppress my feelings by a faint laughter, "Your line?" I cross my arms and roll my eyes, "Who indicated that you created the line?"

"Miss Yuan," he utters before his eyes seem to gradually drift down to my lips. Realizing so, he returns them back to my eyes. He faintly whispers, "Don't leave your Manor for the time being."

My heart sunk, "Am I in danger?" My eyes widen again and I express an expression of agony. My teeth chatter in shock, as every cell in my body is afraid to be in a predicament again.

Good Heavens!

What will happen to me this time?

Under the corner of my eyes, I see an upward curl of his lips. "As long as you follow my instructions, nothing will occur to you."

I laugh at his profound vanity, "Look at your confidence. Should I be in any danger, I expect you to be the first to save me."

Wait, was that too direct?

Under his breath, he murmurs a quiet and blurred sentence.

Too indulged with my thoughts, I didn't hear his words clearly, "What did you say?"

It sounded like... No doubt?

"Nothing," he says before he leisurely closes his eyes. "Miss Yuan," he repeats my maiden name again. I somehow feel content when he does so. "Sing me the song you sang before."

The heck?

My brows furrow with surprise, "N-Now?" He doesn't seem to be jesting, so left with no choice, I begin.

His eyes stay on me as I sang the song Chronicles of the Hundred Flowers Grave. Every line I sing, he grows wearier; like blinds, his eyes soon close up.

He really embodies the mind of a child, apart from the cruelty of the government tasks.

I heard before that the imperial brocade-clad guards have to pass a torturous and ruthless test prior to becoming one.

They have to kill all the partners they were set up with, all of whom they have endured hardships and feel an intimate bond with. In the end, their eliteness is defined by their resilience to turbulence and tempestuousness.

I gaze into his soul and feel a compelling passion to reside by his side.

But I knew somewhere in my heart, that this face, these feelings, and this body do not belong to me. I turn away and exit the room, closing the door as if this is a regretful misdemeanor.

Xiu Ying brought me to Li Shi Zhen, who is brewing some concoction for Xu Kai in the cookery. I question if he needs my help, but he replies with "I got it" and a "Thank you."

Out of curiosity, I ask him, "Scholar Li, do you know what Co-Commander favors to eat?"

"To be frank with you, I have no idea," he says as he lifts up pieces of woods and throws them into the fiery oven. "Ah!" He suddenly remembers something, "I do remember him smiling when he saw a kid eating some sugar painting before. You know, the type where you cook the sugar until they caramelize and you can form animals with them."

I clap my hand, "Yes! I know."

The next few days, I spend my day contemplating how I should get Sir Xu a sugar painting. I would've asked Xi Ning if she can somehow persuade Madam and Master Yuan to let me borrow the kitchen, but she has been preoccupied with her guqin lessons endowed by her parents. I thought not to bother her.

Why not just go to the city and purchase one?

"No, no. Xu Kai said not to step out of the Manor."

But it's been a few days.. There should be no more harm, right?