Chapter 6

*Amina's point of view.*

I could tell that Jax wasn't used to having other people around, but when your life was as closely planned out as his was, I could tell why. As powerful as he seemed in his company, he was actually quiet powerless. His social skills were lacking a bit as a result. For the first week I lived in his house, all of our conversations were awkward. When we visited the doctor, he was all business. Every time he talked, it seemed like he was trying to make another business deal.

Esther was kind. I talked to her more than I thought I would. When Jax was at work, Esther kept me company. She often told me stories of when Jax was younger. Hearing those stories, I understood why he was the way he was. According to Esther, she basically raised him as his parents were always busy. The way she recalled Jax's childhood sounded lonely and loveless. I could tell she tried to show Jax parental love, but if it doesn't come from the parents, the point is missed. He basically grew up without love, I wondered if he was planning to do the same to his child.

Jax came home hours ago, and I could still hear the sighs of frustration coming from the living room as I helped Esther clean up the kitchen. We already had dinner, but Jax refuses to eat. I sighed myself as I looked at his untouched plate.

"I should take Jax his dinner," I thought out loud.

"It's no use. When he gets like that, he won't eat until he figures out whatever the problem is," Esther warned me. I understood what she was saying, but he couldn't just not eat. I warmed his plate up before taking it to him. I knelt beside the coffee table as I set the plate beside his laptop along with a glass of water. He looked distraught and irritated. His tie was loosened with the first few buttons of his shirt undone, and his hair was sticking up from obvious pulling.

"Jax, why don't you take a break and eat something?" I offered. He didn't even look up from his laptop as his hand reached over to push it away.

"I won't eat," he said quickly. I slid the plate and glass cup closer to him again.

"You should at least have something. You may feel better and have new ideas after taking a break," I tried again. He sighed in irritation before pushing the plate away.

"Leave me alone. Who asked you to get involved anyway? Your job is to nurture the child in your stomach. Anything above that is just bothersome," he said. His words hurt, but I slid his plate closer again anyway as I stayed silent. He huffed out a breath before shoving the plate.

"Why don't you mind your own-" he stopped at the sound of glass shattering. He shoved his plate so hard, that it knocked the glass of water off the table right next to me and a shard of it landed on my hand. I hissed out a breath and stood quickly. I tried to hide my hand behind my back but Jax already saw it. He abandoned his work and stood in front of me as he grabbed my wrist to look at my hand. After glancing at it, he took me into the nearest bathroom. He ran water over my hand to wash the blood off before sitting me on the bathroom counter. He turned and grabbed a few things from the cabinet before setting them next to me. Carefully, he used a pair of tweezers to pull out the glass shards.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," he said quietly.

"It's okay. You weren't really paying attention anyway," I dismissed it. He sighed as he checked my hand for any pieces he might have missed.

"When I get frustrated like that, I'm not used to anyone being around to care if I eat or not," he admitted.

"No matter how busy you are with work, it's still important to eat. It's harder to think clearly on an empty stomach. Plus, your health should be more important than anything else," I said with a light smile. He looked caught off guard as he blushed and looked down.

"No one has ever said that to me," he muttered. I winced and hissed in a breath as he poured hydrogen peroxide over my hand. He looked surprised before gently blowing on my hand. The stinging eventually went away, and Jax started on wrapping my hand with gauze.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked hesitantly. He nodded without looking up from what he was doing with my hand.

"I know that your parents weren't really around during your childhood. The way you grew up was... unique. Is that how to plan to raise this baby: without love?" I risked asking. Jax froze as his steel gray eyes went to me.

"I never really thought about that," he admitted. I didn't think he had, it was just a thought I wanted to put in his head. He looked back to my hand and continued tending to the wound.

"How would you raise a baby?" He asked out of curiosity. I smiled lightly as Jax finished with my hand, but I didn't make any move to get down just yet.

"I would look after my child like they were the most precious thing on this earth. I would spend as much time with them as possible, and cherish every moment because I know that every moment is a moment you can't get back later. But that's just how love is in general," I smiled lightly. Jax watched my face for a moment before leaning against the counter next to me.

"If that was the case, why were you rushing to abort my baby?" He asked. My smile dropped as I looked at the gauze wrapped around my hand.

"Because I didn't know you. Then when I realized who you were, it seemed like a better idea to not get involved at all. I wanted to do it before I got attached. Asher always said that I get attached to things easily. If I waited for the realization that I was pregnant to hit me, I wouldn't be able to do it," I explained.

"So have you grown attached?" He asked. I shook my head as I hopped off the counter.

"No because as long as I don't think of it as a baby, I'll still be able to hand it over at the end of all this," I admitted. Jax cleared his throat before putting the supplies away.

"I'm going to take a break, and eat the dinner you brought me," he said, changing the subject. I smiled lightly before following him back to the living room. As promised, he set his laptop aside to eat. I found myself watching to be sure he kept his promise. After he ate, I took his plate to the kitchen. Luckily, Esther already had the glass cleaned up.

"There happy?" Jax asked as I sat next to him in the living room. I giggled before leaning back and relaxing.

"I think you're just not used to people caring about you," I replied as Jax pulled his laptop back onto his lap.

"How does your hand feel?" He asked. I glanced at my gauze covered hand in passing.

"It'll heal," I dismissed it. He started working again and I just sat there and watched. At some point, I curled my feet under me and fell asleep against the arm of the couch. Jax was still going by the time I closed my eyes.