chapter 27

Saturday evening, April 25th, 2020

"This was a bad idea."

I jump in my seat when Asher hoots into the night, his upper body hanging out the passenger window. He pumps his fists in the air as we descend down Aubrey's street.

"Come on, Lonnie Hall. Live a little!" Asher shouts. His laughter seems to shake his whole body, to the point that I'm afraid he's going to fall out the car window.

"The fuck, Ash! Stop being a dickwad and get you fat head back in the car."

"Don't diss it until you try it, Syd!"

"Yeah, come on, man. The last thing we need is to grab your decapitated head off the road," Cooper gravels.

"Why did you have to get him so drunk before the party?" Kennedy mutters to herself, shaking her head.

Her eyes turn into slits as she watches Cooper in the rearview mirror, her palms gripping the wheel tighter.

He holds his hands up like he's surrendering. "Babe, you know he's an unstoppable machine once he starts chugging."

"I second that," Harry calls from the back, his head suddenly popping up from the boot.

"Get your puny head down, idiot! If the police see that you're in there, they'll pull Ken over and fine her!"

Syd turns in her seat, awkwardly trying to push Harry's head back down so that he won't be seen.

"Come on, Syd, you think police like to patrol random streets? I doubt I'm gonna get—"

"When a rager is being thrown, police do tend to patrol those streets. And do you know where a rager is being thrown right now? THIS STREET."

"Sorry, sorry," he mumbles, rolling his eyes at her.

I can't help but laugh. He catches my eye briefly, giving me a big grin.

"Harry!" Syd warns.

He quickly disappears back down but not before ruffling Sydney's hair.

"Asshole," she whispers, running her fingers through her straightened, fiery hair.

Everyone was in a weirdly good mood tonight. First, my mother. Now it seemed like Harry had caught the happy bug. He didn't seem as withdrawn as usual, like he was excited about going to this party.

I'd always thought that things might have been super awkward after our kiss, but it was the opposite. He seemed perfectly happy with just being friends.

I didn't know why, but I felt like maybe that was worse.

We finally pull up out the front of what must be Aubrey's house. The door is wide open and people are constantly walking in and out.