• Better not Knowing •

Chapter nineteen: Better not Knowing

The night was deep, not even crickets are awake at that time

The night was deep, not even crickets are awake at that time. But the King's attendants were very much awake as they wait for the man outside the harem, while the King personally gone to the place for an important matter.

     Jungkook sat across to the new concubine. His firm gazes lingers on the man's face, while the other pour his cup some tea.

"I have no idea what goes on in that head of yours, Your Majesty." Taehyung muttered, his deep voice was lace with teasing. "My brother has always been against me entering the palace, but then one day he told me to enter the harem without any explanation. Tell me, Your Majesty, what did you bribe my brother with for him to allow me inside your palace?"

Jungkook's jaw clenched.

But he needs to know something.

The younger Kim was gorgeous, Jungkook would give him that. His calm yet sharp features can intimidate anyone, meeting the man's gaze was even harder than he thought. But at the same time with one glance of Kim Taehyung's luring eyes, anyone would fall for this man.
But Jungkook isn't like anyone. He's a King. And he was raised to be firm when it comes to temptation.

He didn't enter the younger Kim in the harem for nothing. He just really have no other choice but to have Kim Taehyung as a concubine so his mother won't suspect anything.
  The main plan was to enter the Minister of Justice's brother as a palace scholar or an official of the court, since Kim Taehyung passed the civil exam and have been known for his intelligence. But entering the man as his scholar would spark another debate within the court, because Jungkook will then have to let go of one member, as all of the position inside the court has been occupied.
And changing of officials would  alarm the enemies. Especially, the Queen Dowager.  She would know what Jungkook has in planned. Something that should not happen.

Jungkook love his mother, but aside from being her son, he's a King. And he has a nation to protect.

The King sighed, "You were there that night, weren't you, Kim?" He said, staring at the man.

"There were tons of nights that had passed, Your Majesty. You have to be a little specific." The man said, grinning.

But Taehyung is hard-headed. "You know which night, Kim." Jungkook gritted. "You were there when the late Queen Doyoung and my brother were ambushed."

"I honestly thought I was here to please His Majesty, turns out I was here for questioning." Taehyung laughed. "Did you know that the other concubines are always glaring at me? They say they dont like me here." He added, still laughing. But soon his eyes turned firm, lips formed in thin line. He was suddenly serious, and indeed, intimidating.
"Do you know what happen when someone wants something and there was a threat?" Taehyung asked, his voice was serious.