CHAPTER XLIII

– S C O R P I O N –

Against Proximo's insistence to be at my side dealing with Hades this afternoon—this couldn't wait.

Five of my armed guard surrounded me in close formation armed to the teeth with plasma and full fusion rifles on their backs and openly in hands.

This was Sector 45. It was still my territory so being discreet was not considered. I dragged my hood lower as I moved with deliberate slowness as we approached the most oriental area in the city.

Foods from Eastern origin and beyond were sprawled under neon signs and thin bearded vendors. The smell, despite the crowds... was good. I had dined in the finest sky tower restaurants the city had to offer and they still couldn't match the authenticity found here.

Many patrons that eyed customers hungrily on the streets would suddenly stop their loud promises of the best food in the city when I neared. They tended to drop nods and draw their hands behind them in respect until my guard were a safe distance away.

Hades wanted dinner. How sweet. I thought bitterly picturing sitting across from him for however long he needed to inflate his sense of importance.

A nearby couple traded kisses and obnoxiously swayed in front of us, oblivious of who lurked so near.

My guard broke away without even a word, about to yank them from our path but I raised a hand. They stopped inches before the pair, towering over them with stoic expressions.

At that moment the couple noticed the shadow and whirled around. But I watched them curiously. Even when their confusion morphed into terror. Arms linked. Shared food between them. A former Scorpion may have had them thrown to the sidewalk. May have drawn a blade to remind the surrounding crowds part for a reason but...

"Sector 45 is known for its cuisine." I mused glancing at the food they quickly lowered before me. "You must try Jaquin Yuka in the Jade square. Tell him Scorpion sent you." I told them simply.

They stared at me like gawking fish and at all the weapons so close to their proximity. Then the man with a dark fringe that fell into his eyes cleared his throat and wove his fingers through the woman's own.

"That—is very generous of you Scorpion—we would love to."

The woman remained tucked behind his shoulder with timid hazel eyes that were as wide as a young deer. I resisted the urge to smirk at her similar expression that was on Makayla's face when they had first crossed paths.

I dismissed the man with a wave and made a pointed effort to move past. My guard melted away from them in seconds to resume our intended meet point.

"Have a—ni-great afternoon!" The woman managed to call at my back. I let my hood dip lower over my face covering it in more darkness. Makayla never seemed to stumble on her words however. She held herself with the empowerment of her own making and not of the Emperor.

No one was comparable.

The restaurant of nondescript outer appearance was soon upon us. It's rare wooden structure of pillars and tiles blended into the long street of bright and dark metals simply because it did not light itself like a beacon. It relied on firelight alone in lanterns that dotted the outside and lit within.