SIXTEEN

SNUFFLES
( sixteen. )

five hours earlier...

"PADFOOT, COME ON, YOU can do your homework later, if we don't leave for Hogsmeade right now we'll be late," James whined, hanging off the back of Sirius' chair like a leech. "Come on, we can't be late for our own party," he drawled, stretching out the last few words annoyingly.

Sirius was having difficulty zoning James out and finishing his Transfiguration essay at the same time. Still ignoring the bespectacled boy, Sirius looked up and silently begged Remus to help him out.

Remus looked unamused, switching gaze from a desperate James and a pleading Sirius. "Just go with him, Padfoot," the boy eventually decided. "It's not like you're actually doing homework," he said, placing his attention back on to his essay. The common room was actually empty for once, and Remus was making the most of his time.

Sirius looked offended at those words. "Excuse me?"

Remus scoffed and looked up again. "Oh, please, Padfoot, you aren't actually working. You're only doing what Prongs does whenever Lily is around; pretending," Remus said matter-of-factly.

Sirius looked even more appalled. "I'll have you know, Moony," Remus rolled his eyes "that I'm actually doing my work this time."

Remus looked unamused. "The last time you did your homework was in fourth year when McGonagall actually sought you out and watched you do your work. Never once before, never once after."

"That's true," Sirius confessed, smirking at the memory. He shook himself out of it. "I've decided to turn over a new leaf."

"Bullshit!" James exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. "The day you do homework is the day Evans actually says 'yes' to going out with me," the boy grumbled, irritatingly snatching up Sirius's piece of parchment to see for himself.

"Well, then, Prongs, congratulations, your five years of pestering is finally going to pay off!" Sirius grinned proudly at the sight of James' shocked face.

He slowly moved the parchment down, a look of complete shock on his face. "I can't believe it," he whispered.

"I told you I actually did my work-!"

"Lilypad is finally going to go out with me!" James exclaimed excitedly, his eyes showing pure joy. "Come on, Pads, if this is going to work, we need to get her good and drunk."

Sirius rolled his eyes and decided he'd just finish his work later. Waving goodbye to Remus (who didn't really care), the two best friends headed to their dorm room to grab the Invisibility Cloak.

"Alright, Prongs, you've got to be really smooth with how you ask out Evans this time, okay?" Sirius whispered spookily as him and James walked through the secret passageway leading to Honeydukes. "If this time is going to be the real-deal, you've got to step up your act. No more of your messing-around, getting-straight-to-the-point bullshit alright?"