15. Forgotten Hate

"Of course I'm gonna help you find your brother," I said. "I've promised you, haven't I?"

"Thank you so much," She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"Are you planning on staying with him... permanently?" I asked, hoping the answer was 'no'.

"Yes," She replied softly.

My shoulders fell. "You're gonna leave me?" I breathed out.

I sounded desperate and heartbroken, which I was.

I wanted her to be happy more than anything in the world, but I couldn't bare the thought of her being happy away from me.

"I reckon that it would be wisest for me to stay with my dear brother," Ruth started explaining a bit hesitantly when she saw the sadness in my eyes. "I would feel most at home with him."

She took a few steps closer to me and looked up at me with a soft, apologetic look, while her hand came to rest on my chest. "I don't mean to cause you any pain, Cory."

"Neither do I," I replied just as softly, looking down at the beauty in front of me. "So why can't you remember what we had? Why do you not trust me?"

She removed herself from me, "Oh but could you if you were in my shoes?"

I wasn't able to answer her, because just then Ethan stormed into the room. "Seth knows where Ruth's brother is."

I turned back to look at Ruth who now had the happiest look on her face.

**

"Okay, how did you find out where he is?" I questioned the most disgusting human being I had ever laid eyes on, as I approached him on campus.

He took a drag of his cigarette, "I have my ways, now fuck off, Parks. I'm going to get Ruth to her brother. Your services are no longer needed."

"What makes you think she's gonna want you out of people to bring her to her brother?" I spat. "You think she trusts you enough to stay alone in the same room with you for five seconds?"

"Good point," He then said and I thought my ears were playing tricks on me. "You and the rest of those losers can come with us."

"You want us to take you with us?" I laughed out humorlessly.

He chuckled scornfully. "Sure, if you wanna word it like that..."

He then threw the cigarette onto the ground and said, "Look, you dumbfucks need me, not the other way around."

"The way I see it we don't need you for shit," I told him with narrowed eyes. "We can find him without you."

"So why are you here?" He wondered with a glare.

"Well I don't understand why you out of all people wanna help Ruth," I explained, almost threateningly. "What are your motives?"

"I like her," He said matter factly.

I felt like breaking his neck just for uttering those words.

He was riling up the jealousy inside of me. I was crazy jealous when it came to Ruth. Possessive even. But there was another thing that irked me. That such an awful human being like him would even dare to think he had a chance with someone like her.

It was the love potion, but I still didn't wanna hear it.

"You can't like anything but yourself," I gave back bitterly. "You're a god awful human being."

"I'm not gonna stand here and discuss my... emotions with a freak like you!" He yelled into my face.

That's when I pushed him, causing his back to collide with the wall behind him. Before he could get a hold of me, someone squeezed their way in between us.

"Ruth?"

"What in the world is going on?" She asked shocked, looking at both of us.

Seth fixed his collar with a deep grunt. "Your little boy toy here attacked me for saying I like you!"

Ruth jaw dropped. She hesitantly pointed at herself. "Me?"

"Yes, you."

"He does not like you!" I told her. "He's a –"

"Cory, please," She pleaded softly and I sighed. Ruth then turned to Seth and asked, "Say is it true that you know where my brother is?"

He nodded. "And I will take you there."

"I would prefer if Cory and his friends could accompany me," She explained to him sweetly. "Would you mind just telling me where I can find him? I would be ever so thankful!"

I crossed my arms, telling him with a glare to spit it out.

It took a moment before Seth sighed deeply and said, "I'm coming with you."

"He's not coming with us!" I told Ethan back at the dorm.

"I searched all over the internet and I can't find her brother," Ethan said, then shrugged defeatedly. "We need him."

But I wasn't going to let it go. "Make that punk fall out of love with Ruth and then we'll blackmail him into telling us where Stewart is."

"If I undo the love potion on him, there is no way he's gonna help her find him," My best friend explained unimpressed.

"How would he – I mean how does he... why does he... How would he know where to find him?" I stammered in annoyance. "How is it that he's able find her brother and I'm not?"

Ethan gave me sympathetic looks.

I sat down on the bed, shaking my head to myself. "She looked so disappointed in me too today when I pushed that bitch," I murmured. "She's never gonna love me back again."

"You don't know that," Ethan told me, trying to console me. "Damn where is Dakota when you need her?"

He then sat down next to me. "She loved you once, bro and that love can't be gone if it's real."

"You're the one who's always saying how love is just chemicals in the brain," I reminded him gloomily.

"Well, yeah... but..."

I sighed, trying to hold back tears with a glare. "It's fine."

"No homo, you're hot, bro," Ethan said, putting his arm around my shoulder. "She just needs some time to see what a great catch you are and if you allow her to find her brother, she's going to want to have your babies, trust me."

I couldn't help but chuckle at that.