The Sisters Of Melitele

The next years went on very peaceful as well. The people in the village were welcoming to me as their new healer, and trusted me.

We were trying hard to get me pregnant, but without any pressure. We didn't use any spells or anything, we wanted it to happen naturally. If it wouldn't work, fine. Even though Geralt didn't believe in it, I wanted destiny to make our child happen.

Occasionally, Geralt left to find jobs. Sometimes I'd come with him, sometimes I'd stay home, always depending on the situation in the village; if there were many sick, I couldn't go. Geralt agreed to that, he'd rather I'd stay home every time he left, but he didn't want to be parted from me for too long, so he let me come.

It had been four years since we had come here. Geralt was currently on a hunt in the north. He'd been gone for about two months. I hoped he was alright, deep down in my heart I felt he was still alive, and that calmed me immensely.

Right now, I was sitting in my potion kitchen, writing a letter to Triss. Shortly after we had settled down, I had started writing her; told her where she'd find us if she needed to and that I had picked up my old profession again. She had offered to help me whenever I needed her to and I gladly agreed. It felt good to have a powerful sorceress like her helping me from time to time. I considered her a friend. How could I not? She had saved my husband's life when he was almost killed by the striga – I only did little to that day. She had saved my life from that spell that had surely led to my death eventually.

But back to the letter. There was a child in the village with a fever that just wouldn't go away. I had already tried everything, but to no avail. The little boy was still blazing hot to the touch, and I was beginning to feel desperate; the boy would only have a few days left if I didn't find a cure soon.

I sent Triss the letter, letting a dove fly.

Two days later came her reply. She too couldn't think of a cure, but she was sure the Sisters of Melitele could help.

Dear gods, it would take weeks to travel there! I would have to use a portal.

I left a note for Geralt, telling him where I was, should he return before I did and left for the village.

I told the boy's mother what the sorceress had written me, and luckily the woman agreed to let me take them to the temple.

Outside their home, I concentrated and let a portal appear.

"Quick," I told the mother, "I can't hold it for long. You have to trust me."

Clutching on to her unconscious son, the woman stepped through the portal and I rushed through behind her.

We found ourselves in a rich garden, a grand building not far in the distance.

"Follow me," I said to the woman as I quickly walked up the path leading to the temple.

"Help, we need a healer!" I called over and over again, until a young woman grabbed my arm gently. I jumped slightly, having felt her presence, but not expected her to touch me. the young woman smiled at me and led the three of us into the temple.

She opened a door to reveal an old woman sitting behind a large desk. At the sound of the door opening, the woman looked up from the parchment she had been writing on.

"What is it, Iola?" she asked.

The girl stepped aside to reveal the mother with her son and me. The woman behind the desk motioned for us to come closer. With one glance at the mother I knew she wouldn't talk, too shocked at using a portal.

"Please, we need a healer. This little boy... his fever just won't go away. I have tried everything, but..." I waved my hand at him a little, bringing the priestess' attention to the boy's state. "A friend of mine, Triss Merigold, told me you could help him."

The priestess nodded. "Iola, take this woman to the healing quarters, I'll be there shortly," she directed the young woman, who nodded and led the mother away.

"You are a healer?" she asked me.

"Yes ma'am," I nodded. A strand of hair, that I had loosely tucked behind my ear, covering it, fell due to the movement, and revealed the pointy arch.

"You're an elf?" There was no judgement in the priestess' voice. She stood up and walked towards the door, motioning for me to follow her.

"Half-elf," I corrected. "And half witcher."

She turned to me, mid step. "Half witcher? Isn't that impossible?"

I scoffed, "Well, I'm the living proof it's not."

"What is your name, girl?"

"Nienna, ma'am."

"Nienna, you don't happen to know a witcher named Geralt, do you," she asked.

"Know?" I chuckled, "I married him. Why are you asking?"

"Because he was here a year ago, pretty beaten up from a job, could barely walk. And he wouldn't shut up about having to return to his Nienna," she explained.

"He was here? He didn't tell me! He told me the job went fine!"

"He doesn't want you to worry, dear. He told me about your wish to be a mother, and how stressful it is for you sometimes. Even though you're hiding it pretty well, he knows you, dear. I hope I could help you more than wish you the blessing of Great Melitele," she smiled at me, just as we reached the door to the healing quarters.

"Thank you..." I whispered, realizing I had never learned her name. I looked at her questioningly.

"It's Nenneke. I doubt Geralt mentioned me, even though I've known him since he was a little boy," she said, pushing the doors open.

"You've known him before the transformation?" I almost gasped out. "What was he like?"

"He was," Nenneke started, chucking. "He was a clever little boy; curious and always on the search for an adventure. Light brown curls and ocean blue eyes. He just wouldn't shut up once he stared talking."

I smiled, watching the priestess inspect the little boy.

"I'm glad he's becoming more like he was back then through you," Nenneke said after a few moments, then turned to the boy's mother, holding a vial in her hand.

"Here. Three drops three times a day. In a cup of water, make sure he drinks it all. He should be fine in a week. He doesn't need to stay here, you're free to go."

The mother nodded and picked up her son, thanking the priestess over and over again.

"Thank you, Nenneke," I smiled at her, "for everything."

"It's nothing, dear," she smiled back, "Thank you for everything you do for Geralt. Melitele bless you for your wish to come true."

I nodded at her, then held my hand out, creating a portal. The mother rushed through.

"Goodbye, High Priestess," I said, and followed the woman.

Within seconds, we arrived at the village.

"Thank you, Nienna, for saving my son," the mother almost wept.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "I didn't do anything, but your boy will be fine. Just remember what the priestess told you."

"Mh-mhh, I will," the mother nodded and brought her son inside.

I went to where I had tied Shadow. She whinnied happily when she saw me. I quickly untied and mounted her, galloping off to our home.