10. Sugar

"You fucking this creep?"

Ezekiel tore his eyes away from the screen, shoved the phone in his face, and the other squinted at the increased brightness.

"It's not your business." He backed up and held out his hand. "Phone. You probably know that Angelica will come in here, always talking to somebody. Your slick ass probably has half of her SSN at this point."

He ignored him, putting the phone in his palm after typing something in but not letting go of it just yet.

"No, I don't think you get it; if this is Joseph Turner, then it is my business because, from the looks of it, he's fucking you. Do you even know—"

Third times the charm.

"He was one of the first friends I made after you disappeared, and I moved. This has nothing to do with you?!"

He yanked his hand away and scowled, putting the device back in his pocket. Ezekiel raked a hand through his hair, a single ridged cord snaking its way up his neck.

"You ever met his family? Don't you find it strange that they're so famous around here, but no one actually knows them? If this is all you get from this, there's something seriously wrong with him and those people. I don't have time to expla—"

Jericho got in his face and hissed out his next words. His day was doomed from the start, and it would only get worse from here. What the hell could Ezekiel know about Joseph that he didn't? Let alone his family?

"Only thing I'm getting from this is that you need to keep your nosy ass out of my business. Save the rest of that useful information for someone who gives a fuck."

Zeke's eyes darkened, he looked taken aback for a moment but in the next the anger melted off of his face leaving it blank. Jericho knew he'd crossed a line but he was still well within his right to be angry.

He cocked his head to the left, upper lip curled, and stepped even closer into his personal space. Placing heavily tattooed fingers onto the edge of the sink behind them and leaning in next to his ear.

"When did you get so fucking cheeky, hm?" He growled out, soft breath fanning over the side of his cheek. "I don't watch my bitch for a couple of years, and this is the stupid shit you go and do behind my back?"

Jericho dropped his eyes down to the tiled floor. He was quick to respond when someone else had an attitude problem, though. But, Ezekiel could read him like a book and always managed to shut him the fuck up

That's how he knew Ezekiel needed to stay out of his life. Once you get a taste of something good, you crave more of it, and in this case, it was the way Joseph treated him, like treasure. Yet, at the same time, he was scared.

The blond was so sweet and goofy, put him in his place when he needed to and it was different when they were just friends. He's seeing all that affection and possessiveness in a new light now, Jericho wants it but isn't used to all of it just yet. He didn't want to go back to being treated like shit even if it was familiar.

"You know," he started, voice low enough to kiss the fancy, cream, marbled tiles on the ground, "I was trying to be patient with you, Jericho. But that mouth..." he tutted, "You still know how to push all the right buttons, don't you? It's been years since we've seen each other, and this is how you treat me?"

He couldn't muster up a remark, looking at him while he focused on calming his breathing was out of the question too.

"Nothing, huh. You were just getting smart with me a minute ago."