Chapter 2

Cheng Huan let out a sigh.

In her memory, this mother and son duo had never been close. The original owner had neglected the child purposefully and the kid might be young, but he had an animal instinct and never approached the original owner a lot. 

But it was just the two of them after all. Even though the child was just beaten, he still looked to his mother to lean on. 

Cheng Huan followed her memory and navigated to the child’s bedroom. 

Even though it was referred to as a bedroom, it was more like an attic, about 5~6 m2 in size. It only has a small window that could not be opened and a small bed about 1 meter in size. There was a pile of clothes on the bed, looking somewhat dirty. 

The room also has the smell of something that had gone bad. Without any ventilation, the room also seemed particularly hot and humid. Cheng Huan had just walked in there. Before she could even try to locate the source of the smell, her body started rejecting the surrounding. 

Her fragments of memories weren’t exactly reliable. Cheng Huan only remembered the room being a little bit on the small side, but she realized how bad the environment really was only after she had walked inside there herself. 

How could she leave a child in this place?

Cheng Huan couldn’t help but felt contempt for the original owner all over again before she walked back out of the room. 

The house is small and the only room left habitable other than this room was the master bedroom. Cheng Huan placed the child on the original owner’s bed before she recalled that he has yet to have dinner and bathed. 

As a four-year-old child, the kid obviously did not possess the skills to cook and bathe himself. The original owner saw this as a hassle and would only bathe him when she couldn’t no longer stand it. 

Cheng Huan had no idea when was the last time the original owner bathed the child, but judging from the clothes on him, probably not recently. 

No wonder she was picking up this stench.

As a girl from the South, Cheng Huan couldn’t stand going to bed before she bathed first. She bent down and rocked the child on his shoulder. 

“Wake up.”

The child hasn’t been sleeping soundly and woke up from Cheng Huan’s rocking. He rubbed his eyes as he woke up and reflexively tried to back away from Cheng Huan when he saw her. His little fists clenched into balls and looked at her stubbornly without saying a word. 

Cheng Huan sighed to herself again. 

She leaned over and tried to talk to him as gently as possible, “You are dirty. Let’s go and bathe you.”

The little kid still did not relax. 

Cheng Huan could still ignore it before she figured out what that stench was. Not that she knew what it is, the stench was getting more and more intolerable. She grabbed the child despite his fearful look and walked over to the bathroom. 

The little kid was probably afraid of being hit again. Seeing that Cheng Huan had only picked him up without any other actions, he started to relax. He rested his head next to Cheng Huan’s shoulder and slowly lifted up his arms but they reached their destination before he was able to wrap them around her neck. 

As if startled, he quickly lowered his arms and put them behind his back. He peeked at Cheng Huan carefully, worried that she was displeased.

Cheng Huan felt a pang of sadness. He should be at the most carefree age of his life….